Keeping debris out of door jamb?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have ideas or success finding a way to keep debris (leaves, twigs in my case) out of the door jambs? I can get most of it out with the crevice ShopVac attachment and the air compressor if I get THAT OCD with it, but it’d be nice to not have to do it at all.

Is cowl cover fitment the issue? I would expect so. Maybe some wire mesh?

95opal

Reaction score
Cheapest way to keep debri out is not to park under trees lol

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Now that’s funny right there, let me tell you wut !!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think you would be better off using an ax with those trees :) = sarcasm

short of a car cover or finally making that garage shop you have been dreaming of I am not sure how you keep crap out of there.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Short of finding a solution involving the cowl cover, I think a 10’x20’x8’
tent with zippered front and maybe side windows for flow-through ventilation would work. We get wind every day, usually in the afternoon, so sandbags a plenty will have to hold 3 sides down. Pitfall here is unsightly and how much area it displaces. Don’t want the place to look “trailer”.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 10

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would not do anything like that, sooner or later the wind will pick up and it will be moving. I cringe at some of the cheap carport/roof sets I see as they look so thin/light that I would be afraid the first good windy day it would just be gone.

joemomma

Reaction score
I'd also be super leery of covers. Unless they have really improved, most are good at scratching your car, and not much else.

95opal

Reaction score
Short of finding a solution involving the cowl cover, I think a 10’x20’x8’
tent with zippered front and maybe side windows for flow-through ventilation would work. We get wind every day, usually in the afternoon, so sandbags a plenty will have to hold 3 sides down. Pitfall here is unsightly and how much area it displaces. Don’t want the place to look “trailer”.

Just make sure they use thick tubing and not tent poles. I poured a concrete slab for my buddy about 10 years ago for him to put a 30x12 tent on. Its still up to this day. He built a small loft at one end with a bench under it. Ran power to it and in the winter he plumbed in a wood burning stove. Its what i call a poor mans garage.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So the tent (10x20x8) would go basically where my truck is. Leave about 1’-1 1/2’ to get by up the adjacent hillside. I can push back all the way to the sliding glass door on the storage room behind, so that’ll lessen how much/how little it encroaches on the circular path of the driveway.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah….. the budget for mine isn’t quite so lofty or ambitious, sad to say. I’m thinking of caster bolts at the posts and/or sandbags around the bottom to secure the edges. Probably find some way to reinforce the joints, etc. Electrical will be via an extension cord and something that makes light!

KISS, baby!

My only other option is to use the west half of “The Shop”, but the cement floor has a hole so unless I Jerry-rig something and level in some cement, god knows what could come up thru the floor space. I’d basically have to pressure wash the whole west side out, devoid the place of rat shit, yank all the prehistoric shelving so I could get to the termite-ridden structure and see I’d drywall will nail to it!
Pictures tomorrow; Daddy & his wife are wetting our whistles; long week

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The West (left) half of the shop: opening is 11’6” wide at the doors and 17’ deep with existing work tables and shelves in place. If I remove those, I get an additional 2’ on each side. Plenty of room for the Mustang which measures roughly 6’6” wide x 15’ long

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Of course, I would clean out all that crap and pour/level the floor in some fashion. Few bags of QwikCrete should do it ;-)image.jpg

Last edited:

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I would not do anything like that, sooner or later the wind will pick up and it will be moving. I cringe at some of the cheap carport/roof sets I see as they look so thin/light that I would be afraid the first good windy day it would just be gone.
Reminds me of the local car show emails I get. They tell every one where the latest show is going to be, and remind people not to bring those canopies that people like to set up for shade. I had not gone to any shows this year, but when I started seeing them, I wondered if something happened, if now they finally said something.

There was a monthly show in my home town that got canceled because of a new owner, but then I noticed they allowed a different monthly show to continue at that venue, so now I’m REALLY interested in knowing what happened!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Advice received and taken to heart, gents. I will utilize 1/2 oh “the shop”, but renovations will be many:

1. Level the floor (somewhat/good enough); pressure wash the crap out of it!
2. Remove ancient boxes an shelving
3.drywall walls; seal bottoms against rats and mice
4. Install some kind of “rat away” electrical to keep the farkers from doing what they do:-(

Update: Hone Depot run yields 4 bags of QwikCrete + 1 tub of ready-mix crack sealer for my damn front porch.

Last edited:

95opal

Reaction score
A little elbow grease and a few bucks will clean that up nicely. The bones of the structure ard already in place. My advice would be to get it water tight and slowly update from there. The slab looks to be the worst of it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1739.jpeg
First pour. Only one 60lb bag just to fill in the deeper spots. Again, I’m no mason, so “functional” is the goal, not perfection. First time I’ve ever laid down cement!
Will do more to fill in the area and butt up against backside of the doors to help keep debris out!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1741.jpeg
Plus , a little patch work. Couple cracks in the front porch: fill, sand, repaint. Hardest part: keeping the dogs off while it’s drying!!

Attachments

• IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online