Learning curve

Reaction score
The check engine light came on on our 2015 Chev Traverse. I put my OBD reader on and got a PO496 code. This is for the purge valve that controls gasoline fumes in the fuel system. I checked the price of a purge valve , Parts Geek was $17.95 , my local Carquest was $80 , one heck of a difference ! Anyway I got reading and checking and someone had mentioned fuel cap could cause that code , sure enough , it was on but not clicked tight , I erased the code after tightening the fuel cap and everything is normal , something so simple and yet a guy at our local dealership had told me that one time that a lot of check engine codes come from a loose fuel cap..live and learn !

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was going to say to check the cap when I started reading as I had a similar problem in a ranger years ago. I went to go pass emissions and I was confused when they failed me because my gas cap did not seal correctly. So then I go to the store and tell them I need one and they ask if I want one sealed or vented? Well I guess sealed if its leaking? I thought this was odd because I had known my truck had a leak on the top of the gas tank for years. You could see it between the cab/bed and I would just fill it till I saw the top was wet. So then I put the new gas cap on and go back and somehow passed the test..... Modern cars see if the tank has a leak and will throw a code.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online