Longevity of the 5.0?

monkeydude3

Active Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
911
Reaction score
0
Location
Illinois, USA
Just curious as to what I can expect out of this 5.0L. Our 94 GT has 92000 miles on it. Runs smooth, pulls hard (considering crappy gear in back) and I have never seen a puff of blue smoke out of it, ever. Since I've been driving it I have watched the oil level and given this car my share of hell and the oil level has not moved.

How long can these bottom ends expect to go? The heads? Etc?

I was thinking about doing a heads, cam and intake manifold swap on it eventually to give it some good power and a nice idle tone.

Is there anything notorious for going out on these? I know on my 4.6 NPI the valve guides were gone.

On this 5.0 on idle I can't hear anything except the injectors ticking and when it's screamin all I get is a nice roar out of it as well. (quiet roar though... stupid stock pipes)

We changed the oil when we got it and have only put about 1500 miles on since then, but I'm gonna be a stickler about the 3000 miles with this car.

Thanks!!!
 

95Grandtouring5.0

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
0
These motors will go a good long way. If you do change your heads cam and intake make sure you get a good tune. Our computers do not like when you change things on the motor. as long as you dont exceed 450rwhp on the block it should last for awhile!
 

JERSEYTHUNDER

New Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
My 94 cobra has 289,000 no motor work....no knocks/taps/NO oil burning
BUT...it may be time...oil presure is starting to give me strange readings
then again...might be the sending unit..
GOOD OIL....CHANGE ALOT.....5.0 ......VERY LONG TIME!!!!! :thumb:




JT
 

quickstang_1994

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
2,208
Reaction score
12
Location
Cross Anchor, SC
I ve got 101k on a 94 with a little over 500rwhp, a stock 94 with 275k, and a friend got a 300hp combo with 310k miles so as long as you take care of it, it will last
 

94yellowgt

Active Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
Almost 151,000 miles and alittle over 500 RWHP & RWTQ completely stock bottom end.
 

94yellowgt

Active Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
quickstang_1994 said:
94yellowgt said:
Almost 151,000 miles and alittle over 500 RWHP & RWTQ completely stock bottom end.

How did you get those torque number thats impressive

I don't really know, I was really surprised when I seen them myself. I think its because I didn't go too big on the heads and intake :dunno:. I have the "baby" AFR's and an untouched GT-40 intake.
 

CP94GT

New Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
220k on my 94 and still going to the tune of 180 miles a day.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
9
monkeydude3 said:
Just curious as to what I can expect out of this 5.0L.

You can expect to get your :ass3: handed to you by a Modular :khobra:

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
9
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:
 

WhsNxt9566

New Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
mine had 115,000 before she went poop...i really didnt rag on it much. then agian wasnt exactly easy on it either, but previous owner didnt take good care of it. but back on the streets as soon as i figure out my damn electrical prob.
 

94yellowgt

Active Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
Snakebit said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Gotcha buddy! I didn't have my panties in a bunch, I just love these pushrod motors.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
9
94yellowgt said:
Snakebit said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Gotcha buddy! I didn't have my panties in a bunch, I just love these pushrod motors.

yea I know what you mean, they are great motors but you cant be blind to what modulars are doing these days :khobra:
 
S

scarface

Guest
Snakebit said:
94yellowgt said:
Snakebit said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Gotcha buddy! I didn't have my panties in a bunch, I just love these pushrod motors.

yea I know what you mean, they are great motors but you cant be blind to what modulars are doing these days :khobra:
:gtfo: trouble maker...lol




oh yeah :khobra:
 
OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Active Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
911
Reaction score
0
Location
Illinois, USA
that's cool. My mom had a pickup truck with a 5.0L very similar to these in it, it was a 1994 F 150. Great motor in there too.

I just can't wait to start tinkering because I know these respond pretty well to HCI setups...

I don't have a compression tester but when I pulled all the spark plugs, there was not a drop of oil on any of the, all look clean. Never seen it puff smoke, never heard more than a rumble out of it.
 

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
23,204
Reaction score
9
scarface said:
Snakebit said:
94yellowgt said:
Snakebit said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Gotcha buddy! I didn't have my panties in a bunch, I just love these pushrod motors.

yea I know what you mean, they are great motors but you cant be blind to what modulars are doing these days :khobra:
:gtfo: trouble maker...lol




oh yeah :khobra:

>:D >:D
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
77,663
Messages
1,506,730
Members
15,089
Latest member
bturner425

Members online

Top