Longevity of the 5.0?

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Just curious as to what I can expect out of this 5.0L. Our 94 GT has 92000 miles on it. Runs smooth, pulls hard (considering crappy gear in back) and I have never seen a puff of blue smoke out of it, ever. Since I've been driving it I have watched the oil level and given this car my share of hell and the oil level has not moved.

How long can these bottom ends expect to go? The heads? Etc?

I was thinking about doing a heads, cam and intake manifold swap on it eventually to give it some good power and a nice idle tone.

Is there anything notorious for going out on these? I know on my 4.6 NPI the valve guides were gone.

On this 5.0 on idle I can't hear anything except the injectors ticking and when it's screamin all I get is a nice roar out of it as well. (quiet roar though... stupid stock pipes)

We changed the oil when we got it and have only put about 1500 miles on since then, but I'm gonna be a stickler about the 3000 miles with this car.

Thanks!!!

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
These motors will go a good long way. If you do change your heads cam and intake make sure you get a good tune. Our computers do not like when you change things on the motor. as long as you dont exceed 450rwhp on the block it should last for awhile!

JERSEYTHUNDER

Reaction score
My 94 cobra has 289,000 no motor work....no knocks/taps/NO oil burning
BUT...it may be time...oil presure is starting to give me strange readings
then again...might be the sending unit..
GOOD OIL....CHANGE ALOT.....5.0 ......VERY LONG TIME!!!!! :thumb:

JT

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
I ve got 101k on a 94 with a little over 500rwhp, a stock 94 with 275k, and a friend got a 300hp combo with 310k miles so as long as you take care of it, it will last

94yellowgt

Reaction score
Almost 151,000 miles and alittle over 500 RWHP & RWTQ completely stock bottom end.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
94yellowgt said:
Almost 151,000 miles and alittle over 500 RWHP & RWTQ completely stock bottom end.

How did you get those torque number thats impressive

I don't really know, I was really surprised when I seen them myself. I think its because I didn't go too big on the heads and intake :dunno:. I have the "baby" AFR's and an untouched GT-40 intake.

CP94GT

Reaction score
220k on my 94 and still going to the tune of 180 miles a day.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
Just curious as to what I can expect out of this 5.0L.

You can expect to get your :ass3: handed to you by a Modular :khobra:

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

WhsNxt9566

Reaction score
mine had 115,000 before she went poop...i really didnt rag on it much. then agian wasnt exactly easy on it either, but previous owner didnt take good care of it. but back on the streets as soon as i figure out my damn electrical prob.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that WAS a joke guys dont get your FTL's in a bunch :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Gotcha buddy! I didn't have my panties in a bunch, I just love these pushrod motors.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94yellowgt said:
Snakebit said:

Gotcha buddy! I didn't have my panties in a bunch, I just love these pushrod motors.

yea I know what you mean, they are great motors but you cant be blind to what modulars are doing these days :khobra:

S

scarface

Snakebit said:
94yellowgt said:
Snakebit said:

yea I know what you mean, they are great motors but you cant be blind to what modulars are doing these days :khobra:
:gtfo: trouble maker...lol

oh yeah :khobra:

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
that's cool. My mom had a pickup truck with a 5.0L very similar to these in it, it was a 1994 F 150. Great motor in there too.

I just can't wait to start tinkering because I know these respond pretty well to HCI setups...

I don't have a compression tester but when I pulled all the spark plugs, there was not a drop of oil on any of the, all look clean. Never seen it puff smoke, never heard more than a rumble out of it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
Snakebit said:
94yellowgt said:
Snakebit said:

:gtfo: trouble maker...lol

oh yeah :khobra:

>:D >:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online