Loss of power

amf201091

Reaction score
Replaced the fuel filter/changed oil on my 98' gt the other day and took it to the power washer. I decided to clean the engine bay and made sure to only use the low pressure setting. I was an idiot for a split second and forgot to cover my fuse panel since it currently doesn't have a cover on it. I don't think much (if any) water got on it. But after driving around for awhile my CEL came on. I ran a diagnostic on it and something about the fuel pump circuitry (cant remember) and 2 lean bank codes are on (thought I fixed those with the fuel filter... guess not). Not sure if the fuel pump code could be related to me replacing the fuel filter or if a little moisture got in my fuse panel... Anyway the car seems to run fine but when I accelerate hard the power seems to be lacking. I cant break the rear end loose and when the rpms get up there a weird sort of whine sound is coming from the rear end.. I looked underneath the rear end and noticed a lot of wetness around the drive shaft/differential end which smells like gear oil. Could a bad pinion seal explain the loss of power and the leak?? You can kinda see in the picture where it's leaking from the joint.

Attachments

• 20210309_171916.jpg
    20210309_171916.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Benni614

Reaction score
Replaced the fuel filter/changed oil on my 98' gt the other day and took it to the power washer. I decided to clean the engine bay and made sure to only use the low pressure setting. I was an idiot for a split second and forgot to cover my fuse panel since it currently doesn't have a cover on it. I don't think much (if any) water got on it. But after driving around for awhile my CEL came on. I ran a diagnostic on it and something about the fuel pump circuitry (cant remember) and 2 lean bank codes are on (thought I fixed those with the fuel filter... guess not). Not sure if the fuel pump code could be related to me replacing the fuel filter or if a little moisture got in my fuse panel... Anyway the car seems to run fine but when I accelerate hard the power seems to be lacking. I cant break the rear end loose and when the rpms get up there a weird sort of whine sound is coming from the rear end.. I looked underneath the rear end and noticed a lot of wetness around the drive shaft/differential end which smells like gear oil. Could a bad pinion seal explain the loss of power and the leak?? You can kinda see in the picture where it's leaking from the joint.
First the cel is on right? So ur in limp mode whatever power u did have is restricted. Never ever spray your engine bay this is the reason why u don't.
Did u install the filter backwards ?
If u wet something and caused a short that would definitely do it.
Your o2 sensors going out seems to be something internally not combusting correctly. So I would start with basic principles
Check your plugs
Check your filter
Not always the best idea but because of what u did clear the code and see if it comes back sometimes circuits can freak out when we as people do crazy things.
The whine is the rear usually 9/10 it's the rear going bad. I d k if u had it serviced or swapped gears ot never seen that leak so now those gears are like hot and metal to metal. If so sorry bro time for a new set. Lmr sells everything u need for that

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea there isn't any reason for a pressure washer under the hood unless it is really really nasty. I would give it a day and see if drying it out does anything before you start really tearing into it.

OP
OP
amf201091

amf201091

Reaction score
Does the car automatically go into limp mode everytime the CEL comes on? I've had a BMW that went into limp mode and the power loss was very noticeable.. This is only noticeable because the tires won't break loose.. It still has torque. Just seems a little off. The gear oil is pretty black so I'm guessing it's been awhile since it's been replaced... If ever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online