Merry Christmas to me - new Pypes OR X-Pipe

jumbowolfe

Reaction score
Funny sometimes how your loved ones actually listen when you say what you really want for Christmas!

So I got a Pypes OR X-Pipe. I'm keeping the stock exhaust manifods, and I already have Magna Flow Catbacks. What can I expect in HP gain, and are there any gotchas I could encounter with this setup? The only thing I read bad on the Pypes X was that they hang a little low at the exhaust mainfold connection area. Also, are they any EGR things I need to keep in mind when installing these, since my computer will possibly no likey me?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Slykin

Reaction score
I doubt you'll get much if any HP gain without changing out your headers, but even if it doesn't, your brain will think otherwise lol. The biggest problem I can see is that some of your bolts may be a PITA to remove. Your O2 sensors may be fun to remove from your midpipe also, but it's not that bad. As far as the computer goes, nothing should change if you're leaving the stock manifolds. The EGR is hooked up to the manifolds, not your midpipe. Thankfully on the 5.0's you can change everything past the manifolds without messing with the computer.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hp gains are minimal . There's a tube that goes from the smog pump to ur x pipe it's straight forward you will see it. I feel bad for you guys my car passes emissions tests with zero smog equipment . It might feel a bit quicker at accelleration but you would be alot better off with a set of equal length shortys . Then you may notice it a bit more

joekd

Reaction score
I have the pypes X on my car (the catted one which is the exact same pipe as yours but they include cats and tell you where to cut for them in the box)

As with any midpipe install be ready for the possibility of broken studs when removing the OEM pipe

I wouldn't expect a huge HP difference but your top end will feel stronger, I have magnapacks catback on mine and it sounds fantastic

Slykin

Reaction score
Hp gains are minimal . There's a tube that goes from the smog pump to ur x pipe it's straight forward you will see it. I feel bad for you guys my car passes emissions tests with zero smog equipment . It might feel a bit quicker at accelleration but you would be alot better off with a set of equal length shortys . Then you may notice it a bit more

I completely forgot about that. I would just cut it off near the manifold/mid pipe flange and let it dump there unless your midpipe has the deal for it.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I always just cut it off at the x pipe block it off and remove the smog pump unless you block it off by the smog pump it will sound like a helicopter. Or you can just leave the smog pump on and bypass the pump. I ran my car like that for a while just short belted it . Then when I had it in the lift pulled everything out.

OP
OP
jumbowolfe

jumbowolfe

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for all the tips guys. Hopefully when it warms up here over the next month or so I can get started on it!

Can't wait to get it installed.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I've heard some really bad things about Pypes stuff but hopefully they've got them sorted out by now... Manifolds are pretty easy to change out though, is there a reason you are staying stock or even shorties?

Have a torch handy and put the car up on ramps/jacks or the lift the night before and spray all the nuts you are removing with Liquid Wrench. When you do take the nuts off the studs I would heat them up real good with a torch too. 20 years of being on has probably made them think they are one with the stud... For the smog tube coming off the pump... your new pipe is O/R so just cut it off and then remove it and the smog pump and short belt it, there are plenty of threads on here and the corral on what length belt and the routing. Smog pump is easy to remove from under the car.

In all honesty, you won't feel much if any sotp gain unless you had a clogged up cat or something. It will sound better though as long as it fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online