My first 4V (knocks and ticks)

Wild Horses

Reaction score
So I'm picking up an 01 Cobra on Monday. I'm trading my GT for it just straight up! The car has 66k miles, it's laser red, and it's a vert owned by a female. It is completely bone stock. The bad part is it has moderate knock along with a tick in the heads I think. It almost sounds like the primary and secondary chains are slapping around on the front cover. But I've heard plenty of rod knocks in my years and it definitely fits the bill. The cars oil is super clean with no metal shavings or anything of the sort. I made sure to check it before and after running it. IT RUNS AND IDLES PERFECTLY. No misfires, no bogging or surging... She just clunks right along. There are ZERO codes in the car and no CEL on the dash at all. Don't these cars have knock sensors? I am going to try my hardest to upload a video of the car running for you guys that have dealt with this before and can tell me what to prepare for.

How I can prepare and will it work first of all... If I've got a bent rod or spun bearing or anything in the Teksid wrong I have an 04 aluminum Mercury marauder aluminum WAP block. Same as the non forged crank Mach 1s. Will this block have the same compression or close enough to use while I rebuild the Teksid? Im hoping it's just something simple like the guides and tensioners because it does not sound like it's coming from under the car. It has that hollow sound almost like it's hitting the cover. Idk yet. Didn't get to spend much time with the car. But new bottom or not she's coming home with me and I WILL fix it. I just wanted to get some opinions on what to be ready for.
I want a cobra. An 01 cobra and I'll do what I have to, to make this work. Stand by for video and pics.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Untouched.
image_zpss7wv4nzy.jpg

image_zpspbypkmxx.jpg

image_zpshfayx8hd.jpg

image_zpsqzzsapro.jpg

I think its worth the fix... Im tickled to death to get this cobra. Working on uploading the video

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Heres the video... It sounds more like a diesel truck but i can hear a the rod knock in there for damn sure now that its on my computer...

What do you guys think?
[video]http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/thefinest1/2001%20Laser%20Red%20Cobra%20Convertible/IMG_5916_zps6tmvx2bj.mp4[/video]

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
BETTER VIDEO! Sorry for the camera panning all over but i was trying to use the microphone to listen for the culprit... When it idles down and the camera sits still it sounds like chains...

[video]http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/thefinest1/2001%20Laser%20Red%20Cobra%20Convertible/IMG_5925_zpsoj0jtu6p.mp4[/video]

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
It's kind of hard to tell with video. I would get it on a lift and break out the stethoscope. Still a good trade IMO.

Yea, i wish i had a scope on me at the time. Ill figure this thing out as soon as it comes home. Im happy with the trade even if i have to put a short block in it...lol The car is just so damn clean and such low miles...

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Whats a good CAI for these 4Vs.... damn i feel like such a noob. JLT?

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Cant tell by the vid. Just tare it down anyways. Build something fun

Yea. My plan is to throw the entire marauder bottom end and front cover if it needs it for the WAP block. Just as a temp fix. Then I'll have something that already has a forged crank to build into a PD twin screw boost loving MONSTER! I CANNOT WAIITTT. Never thought I'd own a cobra this soon.

i also have the marauder lower intake which I hear is wayyyyy better than the Cobras. I'm gonna cut her open and port the bells out and weld her back up.

i want to see what kind of numbers I can put down in NA form.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i also have the marauder lower intake which I hear is wayyyyy better than the Cobras.

I thought the lowers were the same?? The only difference as far as I know is the upper. The marauder has the throttle body on the other side.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
99% sure ^

Unless new findings have been revealed, prett sure the lowers are the same or really really close.

What hp are you to achieve?

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I thought the lowers were the same?? The only difference as far as I know is the upper. The marauder has the throttle body on the other side.

Was reading about the 99 "fix" lowers on SVTP and they talk about the 01s and then the 03-04 Mercs and Mach 1s. As far as I know the 03-04 outflows the 01s lower by quite a bit. It's in the new edge how to section on SVTP. I'll try to find the link. I'm gonna cut her open and widen the bells anyway. Not gonna risk cutting my factory cobra lower so that's a plus either way.. I hear that's where it's at.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
99% sure ^

Unless new findings have been revealed, prett sure the lowers are the same or really really close.

What hp are you to achieve?

Id like to hit 350 NA so I can hang with most stuff on the road. Then once the teksid is ready with new Rods/Pistons bearings and my nine thread 04 heads for a twin screw I'll spray 100hp of N2O through that marauder block and 4 thread heads. Until I'm bored. 350 should be easy if I start w long tubes.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score

Here ya go... This was quoted from a sticky.

Use whatever lid you can find. they are virtually the same. the difference is in the lower intakes. mach 1 and marauder lower intakes are superior to the 99 and 01 intakes. I found a great post on the svt performance forum posted by Nazman, and in it he gives flow numbers for each of the intakes. non fixed 99 intakes are the worst flowing at 230 cfm, fixed 99 and 01 intakes flow 242 cfm, and the mach 1/marauders flow 290 cfm. These numbers are for the individual runners. Again, I did not do the testing for these numbers, all of the credit goes to Nazman.

ALMOST SOLD IT!!! SO GLAD I DIDNT!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.