My motors junk.. where to go from here?

red9535

Reaction score
I was in the process of rebuilding a 302 that I acquired with my Mustang when I bought it, but once I got down to the block, everything is junk. I need new pistons, all new bearings, a new block, and a new crankshaft.

So, trying to decide where to go from here.

It's a 1995 Mustang

I could get another 302.. I could get this one machined.. or I could go bigger. What else will bolt up? A 351.. what about a 429? A 460? What are my options here!

ryclef331

Reaction score
What do you want to do with the car? Balls our Street Brawler? Track car? Daily Driver? Sunday driver? Sleeper? DETAILS ....we need'em. How fast do you want to go? How much do you have to spend? Power adder or all motor? What the REST of the drivetrain currently or going to consist of?

WHAT do YOU want out of the car?

Obviously a 302 based motor (rebuild or stroker) will be the simplest of anything. A 351 isn't much harder to do but it takes a few more bucks to install but you get a stronger block and the capability to add ALOT more cubes. There is ALOT that goes with this....ask yourself a few questions and then get back to us.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
red9535 said:
I was in the process of rebuilding a 302 that I acquired with my Mustang when I bought it, but once I got down to the block, everything is junk. I need new pistons, all new bearings, a new block, and a new crankshaft.

So, trying to decide where to go from here.

I told you that car wasn't worth what you paid for it.

Just buy a good used fuel injected 302 like I mentioned in the first place and go from there. Unless you have a ton of money.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
What do you want to do with the car? Balls our Street Brawler? Track car? Daily Driver? Sunday driver? Sleeper? DETAILS ....we need'em. How fast do you want to go? How much do you have to spend? Power adder or all motor? What the REST of the drivetrain currently or going to consist of?

WHAT do YOU want out of the car?

Obviously a 302 based motor (rebuild or stroker) will be the simplest of anything. A 351 isn't much harder to do but it takes a few more bucks to install but you get a stronger block and the capability to add ALOT more cubes. There is ALOT that goes with this....ask yourself a few questions and then get back to us.
exactly. You need to make this decision before anyone can help. But, I would start with a Balanced block and at minimum add a bottom end brace for support. The 2-bolt 5.0 block (if you are going stock other that an A-4) it needs it. Spend the extra cheese on forged slugs so you can go with some juice later if you want. Hell, "O" ring the damn heads and deck! Ok ok,, I'll take it easy now. O0

ryclef331

Reaction score
Putting a girdle on a STOCK block is a WASTE OF MONEY. All it does is holds your parts in a nice neat pile. It isn't the main caps shifting that kills a stock block. Its the thin walls on the front and rear of the block. The webbing sucks. They split up the middle....a girdle might save your crank rods and pistons but the block is still a turd.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Putting a girdle on a STOCK block is a WASTE OF MONEY. All it does is holds your parts in a nice neat pile. It isn't the main caps shifting that kills a stock block. Its the thin walls on the front and rear of the block. The webbing sucks. They split up the middle....a girdle might save your crank rods and pistons but the block is still a turd.
I agree. But anything helps. Hell, I'd go with an a-4 block myself....

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend $2000 on a block for a stock 302 myself.

Anrev

Reaction score
If I could do it again I would got the route MMFF is and build a "new" Boss.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
+1 thats the route im wanting to take this winter. Boss block 331 stroker and a turbo in a couple years. Hefty price tag which I have calculated to about $7800(runing motor) But itll be ready for some turbo action when the bank gets built up again.

drifts14x

Reaction score
Now, I'm diehard 5.0 so I'll tell you that this might not be a bad time to do a Fox 5.0 (because the parts are cheaper and easier to come by). Also, you could consider a 4.6, as they are cheap as hell at any salvage yard or even on ebay, you technically wouldn't be cheating. If you're a baller, go 351(5.8) or 5.4, You can get a 351 from an old Bronco and build the hell out of it, or the 5.4 and put some cobra heads on it and eat people alive. Those are the extent of my solutions.

zero_chance

Reaction score
What the hell happened that the block, crank, pistons and bearings all failed? Are they just out of spec or is there actual physical damage?

OP
OP
R

red9535

Reaction score
zero_chance said:
What the hell happened that the block, crank, pistons and bearings all failed? Are they just out of spec or is there actual physical damage?

They weren't THAT bad. Didn't show anything other then mileage - bearings were getting hot (i think the engine was starved of oil), and there were some small grooves on the bearing and cap surfaces of the crank.. then the cylinder walls weren't pristine.

I could have built it back up, and it probably would have been OK for a while.. but that's just not how I want to build my car. I got a new (well, used) 302 with 60k on it, and a warrenty.. and built it all up. I built a sweet transmission, and it's ready to drop in. It's coming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online