Need Direction

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Well I'm starting to get tired of listening to a really shitty radio station or my iPod through my FM transmittor that is constantly cutting in and out. So I was looking for a headunit with some type of iPod integration built in so I wouldn't have to deal with transmittor problems. All I'd have to do is plug my ipod in and use the head unit to control all my songs on the ipod.

I was wondering if I could get a headunit like ALPINE's 9881 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R0IjMFT0ODg/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=500CDE9881&tp=5684 I don't know what the specs mean for the most part.

I was planning on using this heaunit with my stock components for now. I've got the stripper sound setup now so it's just a am/fm cassette player and terrible speakers. I think I can live with it for a while until I want to upgrade later. As far as budget I'd like to spend about $1-$250 on a head unit and maybe $400 on speakers later on down the road. I'm into rock music and am not going for loud, I just want something that sounds clean.

Any ideas?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FM transmitter stresses me out too, I just ordered a alpine cable for my alpine headunit so I get it clear.

Anyways...Alpines are the best headunits IMO unless things have changed in the past few years. You cant go wrong with a alpine, find one that is IPOD ready.

If your going to go for sub(s) then your stereo gets a lot more expensive, because you will have to get a high end component set (to get past all the bass), which is expensive plus the amp for the sub AND one for the component set, then all the wiring for that. But if your not going for subs, get a good alpine headunit and I suggest JL speakers just run them off your headunit and you will be great.

Man looking at that deck makes me want a new one!! That one you need a alpine cable (like mine) alpine makes a cool one that is all setup for just IPOD no CDs or anything but not sure if thats something you want, the cable is only like $20 on ebay anyways.

How about this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4mQlnQ224oJ/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=500CDA9885&tp=5684&avf=N
has a cool search option which might be nice, or I think you can manually go to your actual IPOD when plugged in and play off there.

It depends how much you want to spend. You say $200 on a HU, then $400 on speakers I would spend more like $300-350 on a heaunit then $200-250 on speakers if your not going to be running any amps or subs. You could spend about $100 on an amp, wiring kit is about $40 and you will get A LOT more out of your speakers, but still even running your stockers off a new headunit will sound better, then getting aftermarket speakers will sound even better yet, but if you want the most out of your speakers an aftermarket amp isnt a bad idea although like I said even a alpine deck and aftermarket speakers will sound wayyyy better then what you have now. and you can always add an amp later.

Let me know more what your going for interms of adding a sub down the road or not, how loud you listen to your music etc.

OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Is there any difference between the 9881 and the 9885 that you posted besides the display?

As for as the sub setup goes, I doubt I'll want a sub because of the added weight and cost of the whole setup. Plus I'm not into the boom boom stuff anyways. I don't listen to music loud, just where I can still talk to the person next to me. What are the difference between the $150 and $350 hu's?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well they might have better preouts, better construction all around, more features, cleaner sound. But if your not adding an amp there is no need to go overboard on a headunit, that one you suggested will do just fine. If it were me id go on ebay and get the last series alpine did but just a higher up unit, they really dont change them too much.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OP
OP
R

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
So I could get that 9885 H.U. and later just be able to add speakers and possibly an amp and sub setup in the future right? I wouldn't need to replace anything?

I'm not real experienced with ebay but I found the iPod exclusive head unit for $270 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-IDA-X001...ryZ39750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that legit because it says it's brand new and it is $140 cheaper than crutchfield?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
look at the guys feedback its legit, ebay is where i bought all my stereo stuff soooo cheap. Thats that cool ipod one I posted, looks awesome if your willing to get it you have to remember NO CDS on it. Id love to see how you like it though if you were to buy it, wouldnt mind trying it my self but I have no money. If your going to use your IPOD all the time I say go for it, it will sound better then any of the other decks when using a IPOD. One thing to remember is you have to have quality tracks on your IPOD, MP3 disks dont sound nearly as nice as a CD thats why I never have burned a MP3 disk after the 1st one I ever did. Im assuming IPODs shouldnt have this problem, I havent personally used a ipod other then thru the FM transmitter. But im almost contemplating buying that now that I look into it lol because all I will use in MY car is my IPOD.

Yes if you buy the $200 one you can add amps and everything after same with the $175 one but IMO you might as well spend $25 to upgrade 3 units above.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
ive been in audio for along time. its been bass bass bass. but lately i like clarity and crispness. for head units and best bang for the buck kenwood has a decent lineup of headunits and some ipod ready. alpine is more expensive but definitely better quality. now for components varies. im not too found of higher end like bose or thereafter. i like kicker impulse. fairly priced. to each is their own. my advice chat with well reputable shops that dont cater to one brand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online