Need Help For NPI to PI Swap

copmagnet

Reaction score
its his car. if he wants to go pi cam intake route rather than pi motor than so be it. even though a pi motor is the best way to go about this. but him being so young and like he mentioned not being the most skilled mechanic its what he thinks is best for him. although, you will find that it is a biaatch to do this while the motor is in. but I think you mentioned you will have help so that's a plus. good luck!

with the exception of copmagnet who's young

neither are good excuses. I did my pi swap 97% myself, with basic tools borrow from the guy next door, and this is my first time doing a start to finish tear down/install and start on my own. I had very basic knowledge on motor or even cars before i took autoshop 1. I failed the question "do cars use blinker fluid?" I answered yes because the next question was "where is the blinker fluid dipstick?" put forth some effort. go get some 4.6 rebuilds and read them through a couple times.

also, I did not have ANY issues with doing the headswap in the car. I fail to understand why people claim its so hard, maybe they have trouble tightening the head bolts or maybe the valve cover gaskets not seating?

I'm not sure, If i had to do it again, I'd do it with the motor still in car.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
its his car. if he wants to go pi cam intake route rather than pi motor than so be it. even though a pi motor is the best way to go about this. but him being so young and like he mentioned not being the most skilled mechanic its what he thinks is best for him. although, you will find that it is a biaatch to do this while the motor is in. but I think you mentioned you will have help so that's a plus. good luck!

with the exception of copmagnet who's young

Thank you. Again, I'm doing the intake/cam swap because i've read its much simpler than doing a full PI swap. Also with my lack of tools (couple screw drivers and wrenches), i could not possibly do a engine swap. I couldnt do it with a friend because i don't have the money or time at the moment. Nor do i car about getting a whole new engine. Mine runs just fine.

if your goal is only 350, why worry about buying cams (other than PI) and such? boost will get you there. I'd be skeptical about ever going boosted though. the kits are not as cheap as you think, even when you can get all the major pieces for a steal, the small things like a fuel system to support it, and a nice MAF and gauges.....it adds up quick. other than that, you mentioned buying a new edge soon? why buy a kit for a short amount of time, then take a huge hit in price when you try to sell it for another car? none of this is criticism, I'm just trying to help as someone who was where you were quite recently.

another thought; if there is one thing I've learned from my short time in the car scene it's this. if your plan is more than a couple months away, chances are it will change. it may not change a lot, it may change radically, but it will most likely change for one of two reasons. you've changed your mind, or learned something you didn't know before. or life gets in the way, like it always does. ask anyone with a build on here, or you may have already experienced this yourself.

good luck! and remember, it's all in the name of fun!

I'm still a bit iffy on getting a new car after college. I wasn't planning on selling this one, I just plan on getting newer model because i love the body on those. Almost as much as the sn95's.
I'm working on my car as money allows. I don't make too much, so i don't see the point in saving up 2-3K at the moment to boost it.
I'm taking things 1 step at a time, so i get a overall funner modding experience with the car. If i just save up and boost it and call it done, it wouldnt be half the fun....

And yes, my plans for this car my change i can assure you lol

If you were to take a full NPI car with 10 psi of boost and add a FULL PI SWAP, that is PI heads cams and intake I would believe a 100 rwhp gain....

thats what I said to begin with! it was on a procharged car!!!

3. PI heads replacing NPI heads have shown over 100+ HP on a dyno with a paxton.

No, you didnt. You just did a PI swap on your car so i'd expect you to know what a FULL PI car is and what just a PI head swap is.

neither are good excuses. I did my pi swap 97% myself, with basic tools borrow from the guy next door, and this is my first time doing a start to finish tear down/install and start on my own. I had very basic knowledge on motor or even cars before i took autoshop 1. I failed the question "do cars use blinker fluid?" I answered yes because the next question was "where is the blinker fluid dipstick?" put forth some effort. go get some 4.6 rebuilds and read them through a couple times.

also, I did not have ANY issues with doing the headswap in the car. I fail to understand why people claim its so hard, maybe they have trouble tightening the head bolts or maybe the valve cover gaskets not seating?

I'm not sure, If i had to do it again, I'd do it with the motor still in car.

Cool story bro. But like i said a thousand times, i'm just swapping cams & intake. I'm not doing it alone. I'll be doing it with a friend. The end.

clark98gt

Reaction score
Believe or not there was a time when people would encourage a pi cam and intake swap. Its ok I had pi heads on my car, head gaskets blew and instead of putting the pi heads back on, I (gasp) put npi heads on with pi cams and intake and I even had the engine on the stand. Who cares trial and error, the pi heads will be on someday but until then I am enjoying the "10hp" or whatever I picked up from what pi parts I did use. BTW Thanks Justin the Pi intake works great, no leaks, no cracks. Thanks again!

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Dont forget the pi heater tube that runs under the intake, along with the coolant nipple. I forgot then had to wait a week for Ford to get it in. And no there is no way to make anything else work as far as not changing it out, trust me I tried, I'm very impatient.

i dont have the hard line pi coolant hose. i just used heater hose. its been on there for 2 1/2 years now.

clark98gt

Reaction score
How did you make the 90 degree bend right after the nipple without kinking the hose? I tried the rubber hose deal and it was too tight of a turn on mine.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Believe or not there was a time when people would encourage a pi cam and intake swap. Its ok I had pi heads on my car, head gaskets blew and instead of putting the pi heads back on, I (gasp) put npi heads on with pi cams and intake and I even had the engine on the stand. Who cares trial and error, the pi heads will be on someday but until then I am enjoying the "10hp" or whatever I picked up from what pi parts I did use. BTW Thanks Justin the Pi intake works great, no leaks, no cracks. Thanks again!

Sure thing buddy!