Need help with my Car

kingcato

Reaction score
I just got my system installed over the weekend and when I got it back it has been doing some weird things... Regardless if I have the subs on or off my ABS and RIGHT turn signal light will turn on on my gauge cluster, but only when the RIGHT turn signal icon turns on will my high beams come on regardless if my lights are on or not and my RPM needle will jump up from 1000 to 2000rpm higher.. now this is kinda similar to what happened to my 1998 explorer when I got my system and I had to get a new battery.. this is what Rocky (installer) installer sent to me

The only thing I can think of is that you have a higher voltage demand with the 1000 watt amp. Low viltage can cause a cars computer to do some screwy stuff. How old is the battery? You can take it to autozone and have them check the battery and charging system for free, id do it but i dont have a load tester

battery is from 1998
could that be it??? somebody chime in because I cant drive at night with my lights switching like this

amy98gt

Reaction score
you need to check the battery under load. that will let you know whether or not its your battery.
if thats the case i would recommend and optima red top. some higher end audio cars use the yellow top.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of anything like this, let us know what it is.

OP
OP
K

kingcato

Reaction score
amy98gt said:
you need to check the battery under load. that will let you know whether or not its your battery.
if thats the case i would recommend and optima red top. some higher end audio cars use the yellow top.

yep, it was.. and thats the third time out of three times i have been told to get a red optima so im doing that a.s.a.p. tomorrow... appreciate your help

Reaction score
If you have over 1000 watts...I might would get a yellow top. I had a red top and my 1800 watt system killed it in less than a year. I upgraded to the yellow top and have had no problems

OP
OP
K

kingcato

Reaction score
nope, not the battery.. got my red top in and same thing.. looks like i get to take it back and have them rip through m car again.. o well

OP
OP
K

kingcato

Reaction score
well, looks like the voltage is low so it might be the alternator.. does this sound right

OP
OP
K

kingcato

Reaction score
its either one of the two

A lot of vibration from having the radio system so loud can play hell with modern circuits. There are hundreds of thousands of little solder points all over a circuit board and if you break or crack just one the whole thing is screwed. Pull the DTC and tell us what comes up. The service soon light only comes on when there is one of these

Alternator is too weak; everything is running on low voltage. I'll bet if you drove around a couple days with no tunes everything would work fine. You may have vibrated something loose too like dirt cheap said. I used to have a voltage gauge that plugged into a cig lighter. It was pretty handy for this sort of thing. If you could find one it would probably show that your voltage is going down with the stereo on.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well if the battery is good I dont see the low voltage doing things like that, sounds like maybe the wiring is tied into your cluster wiring and might be messing it up, not sure though never seen that before and ive put in lots of stereos in peoples cars with really poor batterys/alts.

OP
OP
K

kingcato

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
well if the battery is good I dont see the low voltage doing things like that, sounds like maybe the wiring is tied into your cluster wiring and might be messing it up, not sure though never seen that before and ive put in lots of stereos in peoples cars with really poor batterys/alts.

with my fuse in for the amp it was at 12 volts and when we took it out it slowly climbed up to 13.2... thinking it could be my alternator since it wont jump right back up

OP
OP
K

kingcato

Reaction score
took the fuse out that goes to amp for last 3 days and now it only comes on SOME times, all the time when my car starts up.. i am thinking my alternator is shot, because my starter heats up from the long tubes so I have to jump start it sometimes and when I tried last night it did not jump start whatsoever.. so my guess is that the alternator is bad and is causing my voltage to go haywire

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
the alt should put out over 14vdc all the time. maybe it just can't keep up. you might need to upgrade to a higher output

Brian

Reaction score
Sounds like the amp is pulling too much off of your alternator and it can't keep up. I'd suggest a capacitor, if that doesn't help out, perhaps a more powerful alternator. My amp used to make my lights go dim, I then put a 2 farad digital Tsunami capacitor and all that stuff went away. If it isn't the battery, it's the alternator. I'd suggest keeping the good battery though. If you can spare the extra cash, that is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online