Need Help with timing chains on a 03 Cobra

94kingcbra

Reaction score
Hey , guys, I am working on a 2001 Cobra with a 03 swap in it. It spun two bearings that caused a severe rod knock. We have a Ford replacement short block that we are swapping the heads, intake/supercharger, and everything else to. We dropped the engine, trans and the whole front suspension minus shocks all together. We disassembled Everything, and now are the process of transferring parts to the new short block. We have the heads on, engine at TDC, and are trying to install the timing chains. On all Data, it says you need a special tool to hold the cams in place at 12 O'Clock, I can see why, because the cam tries to turn from the spring pressure from the lobe being on its lift portion. Anybody got any tricks to keep the cams in place so I can install these chains? Or do I need the tool....?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
you can fabricate a "cam lock" tool, or you can buy one to keep everythign stiff and from rotating.

OP
OP

94kingcbra

Reaction score
Ahh, I see. I'll see if I can make one. Does the lock rest on the head? If understand it right, it goes through the cam sprockets and kinda clamps them or spreads apart till they hold the cams with the marks at 12 O'clock...? I need to make it adjustable right? Thanks!

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
rebuild21.jpg

buy the OTC cam tools. its a great specialty tool to have. i bought them for mine and my dads DOHC rebuilds in our cobras.

not being rude, just saying on our interference motors, especially an 03 swap, i wouldnt take short cuts on doing it. just my thinking though. the custom cam locks my work fine. just lettin you know man. good luck!

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
rebuild22.jpg

you can see the "cam locks" inserted into the D-slots located at the back of the cams. the holding tool is also tightened down on top of the exhaust/intake cams.

massacre

Reaction score
Or you could take out the followers, that's how I did it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlmobile636

Members online