Need more speed!! (HP)

Mikedonz

Reaction score
I have had my 94 GT convertible for several years. It is completely stock, except for wheels. I would like to add some HP under the hood on a budget. Looking to spend 1-2K. What do you all recommend? Someone suggested used heads and gears? Is this the right approach? Thank you for any suggestions.
Mike

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I have had my 94 GT convertible for several years. It is completely stock, except for wheels. I would like to add some HP under the hood on a budget. Looking to spend 1-2K. What do you all recommend? Someone suggested used heads and gears? Is this the right approach? Thank you for any suggestions.
Mike
Gears for sure. I'm not super familiar with the 302 stuff but I've read alot about GT40 heads/Intakes really waking them up? Cam/Springs/Rockers is easy enough as well.

tinnocker

Reaction score
You need lower gears no matter what you do. Try 3.73 gears and you may not want to do anything else or it may just feed your craving.

joemomma

Reaction score
At that budget, gears are going to be your best bet. You should be able to get gears installed for less than $1k at most shops. Used heads (especially aluminum) scare me. For $3k, you can get a Trick Flow top end kit (H/C/I) that'll wake it up nicely.

LEGALLYFAST

Reaction score
Are you going to wrench on your car? Completely stock? Gears, depending on what your goal is. Just more speed on the street, or drag racing?

If it is just a street car, I would do 3.55 gears, cat back exhaust, sub frames and springs. Then save up for a supercharger.

95opal

Reaction score
As said above a used blower can be found if your patient. Gears is always a first mod. I know lots of guys will tell you HCI but honestly a used blower would be a better bet all around.

badass98svt

Reaction score
For $2000, I think I'd do...
3.73 (don't fear the gear)
Explorer cam (GT40)
Upper intake
Unless you plan on staying real low with boost, I'd avoid a SC with a stock block 302. I've personally seen many crack between 450-470 rwhp. Even at 400, you are definitely putting stress on it.

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
Are you going to wrench on your car? Completely stock? Gears, depending on what your goal is. Just more speed on the street, or drag racing?

If it is just a street car, I would do 3.55 gears, cat back exhaust, sub frames and springs. Then save up for a supercharger.
Thank you, me and some friends plan to do the work. I was thinking 4:10, just for tooling around town. Not strip. It’s a manual with 5th gear, the rpm’s don’t get too high, (I don’t think)

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
For $2000, I think I'd do...
3.73 (don't fear the gear)
Explorer cam (GT40)
Upper intake
Unless you plan on staying real low with boost, I'd avoid a SC with a stock block 302. I've personally seen many crack between 450-470 rwhp. Even at 400, you are definitely putting stress on it.
Thank you, I appreciate all the input.

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
As said above a used blower can be found if your patient. Gears is always a first mod. I know lots of guys will tell you HCI but honestly a used blower would be a better bet all around.
Thank you! I’ve not been diligent in looking for parts, but really just starting.

badass98svt

Reaction score
As long as you are just staying around town you should be ok, but man, 4:10s on the highway with a T5 and 302 is not gonna be very fun I dont think.

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
I saw on YouTube a few years ago, it went up only 300 rpm, from stock to 4:10s at 60 mph maybe I’m all wet?

LEGALLYFAST

Reaction score
For being just around town, you just have to plan it out. Really with any build, it will help you later. I like to suggest superchargers because your car is like a normal car except while under boost. For a street car, there are a lot of characteristics that we like about stock, other than being slow lol. To me that’s what makes supercharging so ideal, other than the cost. Once you start doing HCI, you start to create a different car, with different characteristics that are not usually like stock. This is where drivability starts to suffer which can make our experience a bit sour.

4.10 gears can be great for the street, especially from stoplight to stoplight.

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
You need lower gears no matter what you do. Try 3.73 gears and you may not want to do anything else or it may just feed your craving.
Thank you, I’m definitely going to start there!

joemomma

Reaction score
With 4.10s, 80 is about 3k RPM. As long as you aren't going real far down the interstate, 4.10s are great. 70 is right around 2500 RPM. Definitely don't have to downshift to pass anyone. I did drive two hours on the interstate after I bought it, and that was a long drive with the Flowmasters. They were changed out soon after.

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
With 4.10s, 80 is about 3k RPM. As long as you aren't going real far down the interstate, 4.10s are great. 70 is right around 2500 RPM. Definitely don't have to downshift to pass anyone. I did drive two hours on the interstate after I bought it, and that was a long drive with the Flowmasters. They were changed out soon after.
Thank you, that was what I was expecting, I rarely go on the highway with it. Sound would be a concern, I like it loud, but maybe not for 3 hours straight! Haha

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
Mike
Being new to the sight and being the “boomer” that I am, any posting of links to items you recommend (used or new) would be greatly appreciated, or sites and or model numbers of what I should be looking for would also be helpful! Thanks

badass98svt

Reaction score
Well, which direction are you looking to go? Going to stay NA? Look for a SC? Nitrous is super cheap.

OP
OP
Mikedonz

Mikedonz

Reaction score
Well, which direction are you looking to go? Going to stay NA? Look for a SC? Nitrous is super cheap.
I guess, the least “invasive” and easier to “bolt on” the better if that makes sense. But I don’t really even know where to start, other than the gears, seem to be the first step.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online