New Engine HP guesses

CCobraW

Reaction score
I just got a 96 Cobra for a screaming deal... So I'm having a reman 4.6 dohc put in it right now. I'm having them put some long tube headers and the matching H pipe on when they put the engine back in as well as a CAI and some flowmasters.

I know they're rated at 305 hp stock. Anybody have guesses as to how much power it should be making. If you add up the claims for each of the bolt ons it should be an additional 50-60 horsepower... Which I know isn't realistic.

Thanks

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
260-280 at the wheels. Is my guess I'd get a x pipe to h pipes are junk

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Hs are good with flows.. thats it..

Youll need a tune as well man.. with a Tune will net you 284 to the wheels.. otherwise before that.. youll prolly run like crap or be around 276 to the wheels

OP
OP
C

CCobraW

Reaction score
For tuning the SCT type preloaded tuners how well do those work?

The engine as well as all the bolt ons are all mass produced so I would think the tunes would be very similar. Since it's not a custom motor with x brand pistons, x brand cam, x brand injectors etc.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't **** with those hand held tuners I do custom tuning everything. Alot of the time the tunes in these hand helds = lean burn down

ademily87

Reaction score
I had my 98 cobra dynoed after a rebuild with bbk ceramic coated long tube headers and magnaglow exhaust with an or/x and put down 264 to the wheels

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just got a 96 Cobra for a screaming deal... So I'm having a reman 4.6 dohc put in it right now. I'm having them put some long tube headers and the matching H pipe on when they put the engine back in as well as a CAI and some flowmasters.

I know they're rated at 305 hp stock. Anybody have guesses as to how much power it should be making. If you add up the claims for each of the bolt ons it should be an additional 50-60 horsepower... Which I know isn't realistic.

Thanks

Never go by the claims those bolts on say....there is no way you gained 50-60 hp. Is the H pipe catless?

I wouldnt worry about H pipe vs X pipe, the real gains will be made by ditching the cats.

Anyways, I would say realistically you may have picked up 15-30 crank hp with a catless mid pipe and the long tubes. The cai doesnt do much and flowmasters arent very good when it comes to flow.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
260-270 rwph.

Don't get your hopes up too high.
It's better to expect low #'s and get a higher result then the other way around.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
My bone stock 97 Cobra put down 258hp and 250 torque with a dyno tune. I was told by the guy doing the tune, to reach 300hp to the wheels you needed a cai, long tubes, o/r x pipe and imrc deletes.

I am doing mac long tubes with hi flow catted x-pipe. I expect no more than 270 to the wheels. No cai, don't want to lose my strut tower brace.

While the engine is out install a tubular k-member and tubular lower control arms. You also might want to consider a light weight fly wheel. Less rotational mass will pick you up some h.p.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
285-298 hp at the wheels with 276 tq.

Not sure why everyone is going so low; if you look over on the SVT website everyone seems to be making 284-298ish at the wheels with LT's, O/R X, catback, and JLT or similar. But than again these Cobras seem to really vary in power outputs. I've seen some dyno as low as 267 with the above mods. That's piss poor. I'd be pissed if I didn't dyno north of 275 with said mods.

With a tune of course.

the.greg

Reaction score
The reason cobras vary so much stock is cuz most of the imrcs on high mileage/older cars are clogged/disfunctional and can make some 4vs dyno low like 250, but since u say yours has a fresh reman engine hope for close to 275, long tubes seem to help alot on cobras, but regardless on these b heads it usually takes FULL bolt ons to reach 300+rwhp. Like others said if you get a tune, get a actual dyno tune or atleast a wideband mail order tune via datalog. Good luck

ademily87

Reaction score
285-298 hp at the wheels with 276 tq.

Not sure why everyone is going so low; if you look over on the SVT website everyone seems to be making 284-298ish at the wheels with LT's, O/R X, catback, and JLT or similar. But than again these Cobras seem to really vary in power outputs. I've seen some dyno as low as 267 with the above mods. That's piss poor. I'd be pissed if I didn't dyno north of 275 with said mods.

With a tune of course.

For a non "over rated" 305hp rating from the factory and simple mods, 260-270 seems legit to me and at the wheels seems to be the average for those cars

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

4vGts

Reaction score
My car made 290 and 292 torque with imrc deletes h pipe borla dumps and jlt rai. But i also have a mmr 900 shortblock with a 10:1 compression ratio. Im making a short runner now to get into the low 300s.

Note: this was on a very very conservative tune. When i get the short runner in ill go aggressive with the tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online