New gears, clicking Noises turning ( Problem Solved)

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
UPDATE

-Both rear wheels have play in them.

-Axles are out, appear to be in ok shape, no bends.

-Bought new bearings, didn't come with seals! seals should be here today and hopefully it'll be good to go!

RichV

Reaction score
In/out play? How much?

Shouldn't. Specially with the kingpin in. You'll get a tiny bit of movement. Like maybe 1/16".

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
At 12 & 6 both rear tires had movement in and out. After the bearings were installed everything was tight, no movement. Everything went back together nicely, put it in the air and in drive as a test, still a drivers side wooble!

pulled the brakes off and it's next to impossible to see, out brake and 1.5" spacer back on and you see it wooble like crazy. I must have a very slightly bent axle. I removed my spacers and the car drives a lot better, wooble is 1-2mm with out the spacer on.

RichV

Reaction score
Wonder of the axle is maybe not square to the chassis. Maybe try swapping the axles and see if the problem follows the axle, or it stays.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I just swapped a bent axle.. the axle was bent on the face where all the studs are.. is was very lil but it made a squeak and got a weird ware pattern on my brake pad..

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Problem solved: exhaust pipe going over the rear axle was making contact with the frame. Pulled my tailpipes off and it's all good but it is WAY to loud, no longer has a throaty sound, just downright loud and lotsa bass! If I add turndowns will it make it any quieter inside?

kb1982

Reaction score
I have turn downs about 4 feet in front of the axle on my flowmaster 40's and its really not that bad. Thats with bbk full length headers and x pipe. It has a loud drone around 2200 rpms or so, but with 4.10 gears, cruising 60 mph is well above the drone zone. My driveshaft rest on my x pipe when the suspension is fully unloaded, but it doest cause any harm while driving. Its always a good idea to put your car in the air, and see how everything sits fully unloaded, then place a jack under the diff and fully compress it while still in the air. Heres a vid i made that was a fail lol. Couldnt even pick up the exhaustnote with my car idling with that setup. [video=youtube;jPnWBuGy0zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnWBuGy0zM[/video]

RichV

Reaction score
Problem solved: exhaust pipe going over the rear axle was making contact with the frame. Pulled my tailpipes off and it's all good but it is WAY to loud, no longer has a throaty sound, just downright loud and lotsa bass! If I add turndowns will it make it any quieter inside?

What about the wobble?

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
What about the wobble?

Still present on drivers side, my axle is slightly bent I cannot see it wobble unless my brakes and spacer is off, the 1.5" spacer really makes it present. I removed my massive 1.5" spacers as I've got no tailpipe for my tire to rub now, the wobble is almost completely gone I literally need to put it in drive in the air and close one eye and watch it from the back end and there is 2-3mm of wobble.

I have turn downs about 4 feet in front of the axle on my flowmaster 40's and its really not that bad. Thats with bbk full length headers and x pipe. It has a loud drone around 2200 rpms or so, but with 4.10 gears, cruising 60 mph is well above the drone zone. My driveshaft rest on my x pipe when the suspension is fully unloaded, but it doest cause any harm while driving. Its always a good idea to put your car in the air, and see how everything sits fully unloaded, then place a jack under the diff and fully compress it while still in the air. Heres a vid i made that was a fail lol. Couldnt even pick up the exhaustnote with my car idling with that setup.

Drove my car to work today, exhaust noise in the Cabin is just too much for me. under 20mph the cabin seems unbearable, I've got no cats and my exhaust stinks lol

ive got a flowmaster dual exhaust on my Ram, I've got two extra 2.5" x 18" that allows me to switch my ram dual exhaust from dual out the back to split by the two tires. I'm going to clamp this peice onto the end of my muffler and buy a turn down, this should extend me exhaust by 18-25" depending on where i clamp my turndown. This should put me right at the axle (below it). Not sure if I'll run into clearance issues or not, only going to be out an hour or so of time and & $30 worth of clamps and turn downs.

if that doesn't satisfy me I'm considering getting a local shop to run two 2.5" pipes straigh off my mufflers, over the axle and dumped at the top. I really do not want to buy larger tires vs a new exhaust system!

kb1982

Reaction score
Looking at my pics, I think i may have fibbed. Looks like my turndowns are about 2 feet from the axle.

kb1982

Reaction score
Its not bad at all in the cabin except the typical flowmaster drone that happens near 2300 rpm or so, but with 4.10s i cruise in the 3 to 3500 rpm range. I can carry on conversations in the car without a problem. I cant say that i really feel it, but then again I have solid motor mounts and all solid spherical bushings in the rear suspension.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Well I came home from work and my wife immediately asked why I smelt like gas LOL. I'm a manager at my work and cannot stink while presenting my employer so I needed to do something haha

I added a 15" aluminized steel piece to each muffler. Ends an inch after the swaybar, immediately upon startup I could tell there was a huge improvement! No more bass inside, going to cut the each piece an inch or so to eliminate swaybar contact and put some gasket maker around the clamps. It's not pretty but thee is no more horrible rubbing noise and I can run a large tire now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online