New headers or not?

1994gt

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt 5 speed that has the bbk cai, 70mm throttle body, off road x pipe, and flowmaster mufflers welded in stock pipes. I need to replace the clutch here soon and thought while I had all that stuff out I should install some headers. The ones I was looking at where the chrome bbk ones for $209. My question is would it really be worth the money to swap them out or should I just leave the stockers in there? I'm not going to be doing any h/c/I swap as of right now. American muscle claims 8-15 hp with them but not sure. What do you guys think?

GT Rob

Reaction score
$209 is not bad or found some used one's you'll get a better flow with different headers.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
for the money i'd say do it. longtubes would be better but than that requires changing the midpipe and i'm sure you're not going that route but i could be wrong. the stock manifolds are a terrible design and really choke the exhaust, a nice set of shorties will make it a little louder and a drop more responsive

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
No exhaust manifolds on these years of 302's they came with factory headers shitty but better then cast exhaust manifolds ... I'd get equal length shortys if it was me ... Plugs are a littler harder to do but big deal

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick replies. Just ordered the clutch parts and added these to the cart. BBK unequal chrome shorties for $209 free shipping.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have had those headers on mine for the past 5 years. I did notice a increase from the butt dyno.
But the headers are not the best quality visually.
When BBK builds these headers, they chrome the straight tubes first install them into the bender. They have tooling marks where the bender grippes the pipe and cracking chrome on the elbows.
I also found an excessive amount of weld build-up on the inside of the header flange to the point of restricting exause flow. I used a die grinder to remove the excess weld and was able to make the opening about 1/4" bigger overall on all 8 ports.
Also keep a close eye on the header bolts. I've had a few loosen up and fall out but I was able to replace them with allen head cap screws. (a regular bolt will not work).
Other than not looking the best and the header flange thing they are holding up fine. And are a great upgrade over stock for the price.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I figured being that cheap they wouldn't be perfect. I will definitely grind those welds down as well, thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online