New in Oregon

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
Dang that sounds like it would be aggravating. (and I hate the feel of wet clothes)
My friend fixed his verts leaky seal with this silicone like stuff called seal n peel.
It's actually for like sealing house windows, but it kinda reminded me of rubber cement in that if you wanted to, you can slowly just peel it right back off.
He didn't want to get a silicone mess that was permanent.

Where was your car when the top got slashed? That's such a drag. I just don't get that type of mentality. Sorry that happened to you.
I was at a friends house when the drunk showed up demanding money I didn't owe her so she messed up my new car. It was stupid.

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
I wonder if they make something like an iron on patch you could temporarily repair your top with. I'd be trying to patch that with some rip-stock canvas and rubber cement or something. Leaks are such a pain.
I had a '64 Ford Fairlane that started to smell musty and dank like a cave. For the LONGEST time I couldn't figure it out. Searched high and low for a cause. Nary a clue.
Then my friend lost his knife while riding in the back seat so we pulled the back seat up to look for it
A sneaky leak in the back window seal let water run behind everything and into the floorpan under the seat where there was over an inch of standing water trapped.

It even had a green algae ring around it.

Yeah, leaks suck!
Hope you have some luck with yours!
Yikes, I did try to fix it with some stuff to seal or glue in windshieilds, it worked pretty good until I started putting the top down and up, than it popped open again.

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it was still 'top down' weather in Oregon.
Yeah, as the top ages, it shrinks as well. So you can pretty much expect that any 'fix' will be temporary.
Sounds like your fighting a loosing battle, but that doesn't mean it's not worth fighting.
One thing I appreciate about trying to stave off the complete failure of something that's going to have to be replaced eventually, it opens up a special opportunity to try different repairs and see which one comes closest to salvaging it or increases it longevity!
I love feeling the freedom of being able to try new ideas, knowing if I muck it up, it's not a grievous loss.

If you have some old jeans or jean like material in black, I'd try cutting a patch the shape of the damaged area, overlapping by an inch or so. With gloves, work the adhesive into the material on both sides. Then put some adhesive on the damaged and wait for it to skin over a little. Get someone to hold something flat on the other side so you will have a surface to push against and press the patch into place.
You could even let it cure and put another coat of adhesive over it, just not too thick.

If you even remotely question the adhesive, I'd go with some RTV black silicone. I WOULD suggest you do it in a climate controlled area or if you get another *warm-ish* day, so it will cure correctly.

Just some thoughts.
Post back when ya can and let us know how the Kat is doing!
G

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it was still 'top down' weather in Oregon.
Yeah, as the top ages, it shrinks as well. So you can pretty much expect that any 'fix' will be temporary.
Sounds like your fighting a loosing battle, but that doesn't mean it's not worth fighting.
One thing I appreciate about trying to stave off the complete failure of something that's going to have to be replaced eventually, it opens up a special opportunity to try different repairs and see which one comes closest to salvaging it or increases it longevity!
I love feeling the freedom of being able to try new ideas, knowing if I muck it up, it's not a grievous loss.

If you have some old jeans or jean like material in black, I'd try cutting a patch the shape of the damaged area, overlapping by an inch or so. With gloves, work the adhesive into the material on both sides. Then put some adhesive on the damaged and wait for it to skin over a little. Get someone to hold something flat on the other side so you will have a surface to push against and press the patch into place.
You could even let it cure and put another coat of adhesive over it, just not too thick.

If you even remotely question the adhesive, I'd go with some RTV black silicone. I WOULD suggest you do it in a climate controlled area or if you get another *warm-ish* day, so it will cure correctly.

Just some thoughts.
Post back when ya can and let us know how the Kat is doing!
G
It's frickin 1 degree where im at now, no top down for me. But my old car the back window fell/ got ripped out by my dog, so I replaced it myself for 180 bucks and installed a 1 piece top with plastic window instead of the factory multi part glass window, because I concluded the glass was too heavy, it was cheaper, and it just looked better.

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
Welcome. I too have a 98 convertible and coupe. Same color as your convertible. You enjoy this forum.
Yes so far this forum has been helpful, that's cool that you have a 98 collection too. Mine started by accident, I got 2 od them, my friend had 1 so I decided to get it from him and start collecting, I have 1/2 of the models from that year now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online