New stereo install kit help please

1994gt

Reaction score
I bought a new CD player for my car. 94 mustang gt non Mach 460. Bought all of it, install kit and all, from best buy. Got home and the flat connector from the kit that has the speaker wires doesn't come close to my factory harness. It does for the power and ground wires. So I though I have the premium stereo so I bought a kit for all 94-00 mustangs and it's closer but still way off. I need help figuring out what harness I need. I've install stereos lots of times but this has me stumped. Pics to come.

Any quick responses would be appreciated.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
That LOOKS right to me... You plug the wide black harness into each other and plug the small black harness into your small Grey harness IIRC. I know one harness on the car doesn't get used

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score

these are the wiring harnesses that are supposed to plug into the car. Keep in mind I have 2 sets here. The right 2 are for the speakers and the left ones are for power and ground.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score

this is all the wiring that's in my car

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score

the left connector is from the car and the right connector is from the kit. These in no way connect together and the gray connector is the only connector close to the factory size.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

this is all the wiring that's in my car

You don't have the mach with the tweeters by the mirrors but you had a premium stereo. Look down under the radio and you will see an octagonal shaped metal box with a bunch of holes in it and 2 hrns's going to it. It really was just an add-on to jack the price up from what I can figure out as it made no difference in sound and you are better off bypassing it. Good news is that its easy to bypass and you have the parts too do it. If you look in this picture inside the hole for the radio on the right hand side you will see the faint image of a black 8-pin hrns that looks almost like the grey power hrns you are holding in the picture. It is connected too the inside of the console and one end goes too that shitty amp(you can pull out if you want), the other end goes directly to your speakers. Disconnect the two hrns's and now that black 8-pin speaker hrns that was in the kit will plug into the male hrns of the two in the dash you disconnected. Wire up white to white, white/blk to white/blk, ect and then go connect your hrns's and turn it on to rock.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score

is this the correct harness you were talking about?

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
And do I now use that gray harness next to it or the one that went to the back of the radio for the power and ground?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes use the grey hrns that has the power/ground/dimmer wires on it for power, and the black 8-pin for the speaker. You can wire them inside your house(again just match the wire colors) and go out and plug them it and it should power up with the key and sound better too.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
Go it figured out. All good to go. New stereo sounds much better than the pos stocker. Thanks for all the help ttocs. It's very much appreciated!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online