Notchy shifting

Rio red Cobra

Reaction score
Definitely mgw, and that’s the reason I just sold my mgw shifter. They are very notchy feeling and l missed 2nd a bunch with that shifter.
Says you. That's your opinion only. Your entitled to it but I happen to love mine. I removed a Hurst for a pro 5.0 and removed that for MGW. As someone stated earlier what transmission does shift smooth in a Mustang. Even the 10 speed auto clan and bang especially on upshifts. The shorter the lever tje more pressure you'll need and more feeling you will have. Someone also mentioned about shifting with the car off. I have a original 12K Cobra and everything is working correctly and to spec, and I can't shift mine with the motor off. Maybe occasionally a 1 to 2 but that's about it. There are multiple factors. Clutch fork bent, fork ball not correct or mis adj. Trans fluid, clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, cable routing ect ect. A problem i found on mine when going over the entire clutch was the fork was actually rubbing the trans inside. When I took the inspection cover off I noticed a mark on the casing. And that was caused because of the weight they use in the clutch fork. I had 2 choices remove weight or file some aluminum of the transmission. I wet with file. Blogs were telling me its ok to remove the weight from the fork. I disagree, there's a reason the engineer's at Ford put it there. And that just reminded me of yet another possible issue with our friends shifting.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have never heard a bad thing about the tri-ax, mixed reviews on the hurst. What ever happened to pro5.0 I thought they made a good shifter for the price at one time?

IMO it was the best shifter before the MGW came along. I can't understand all the dislikes on here for the MGW.
I felt the Pro 5.0 was an upgrade from the Tri-ax, but I liked the Tri-ax handle better.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, shifter is going to be users preference. I have used hurst, pro 5.0, tri-ax, and mgw. All on the same setup, and all back to back tests street driving and at the track. All fitted with the same handle (even mgw). The hurst sucked terribly, the pro 5.0 was decent, the tri-ax is my favorite, and the mgw was over priced and under delivered. You can preach at me all day long that your setup will change how your shifter feels. When you go back to back with a shifter swap, you have a good comparison.

I don’t like the mgw. Again, users preference. OP was stating some of the same complaints I had with the mgw shifter. So I offered my opinion.

And going 5th and Rev with the mgw took too much effort. Enough effort that it made my shoulder sore.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I've tried Hurst, B&M, Steeda, and MGW on my old T45. Only the MGW had a flawless operation, a breeze to use in any situation. The others were good, but they weren't perfect. For me anyways, MGW was perfect.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I had a pro 5.0 on my old 02 gt and loved it. It was pretty smooth and shifted easily. I swapped the handle for the tri ax handle and loved it.

My buddy with an 04 gt had a tri ax and I felt it was notchy.

And when I said to shift the car in each gear with the car off I meant with the clutch in. I thought that was kind of obvious.

ThwopKing

Reaction score
Just put a tri-ax in my 94 GT and thats what I have used in every other mustang ive had except my 2010 GT. If/when I redo the trans I may give the MGW a try.

OP
OP
JPuehl

JPuehl

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of responses to say that problem may be the shifter, lol. I did order a tri-ax btw to try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online