oil pan replacement

Ogre39

Reaction score
I've got a 96 GT Vert with long tube headers that I have to replace the oil pan because of rust. It has the oil level sensor on the side. I can't find a new oil pan with this sensor. All the oil pans I find are for 96 to 2004 4.6 and don't have provisions for this sensor.

I'd like to keep the oil level sensor functional. I've looked in all the local pick-n-pulls with no luck.

Anyone run across this issue?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I remember guys saying they punched in a hole then tapped the material that was pushed into the pan.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I had this issue when I damaged my oil pan a few years ago when it slipped off the jack. Someone on modular fords sold me a stock pan with the sensor. Unfortunately we have tap the pan. When I upgrade mine to 7 quart pan I'm going to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know from just looking around at pushrod pans that they came with or with out the spot in the pan. Are you wanting it with the sensor already installed?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive got 4 or 5 pans from trucks laying around. Ill check them out and report back. IIRC the truck pans will fit in a sn95 just fine. Might need a small clearance dent but should still fit.

mustangmurley

Reaction score
I've got a pan off my 96 GT I replaced my pan when doing my pi swap last winter. I can take a few pictures and if you're interested we can work something out. I also wanted to keep pan level sensor in mine but I was unable to locate one with the bung in the side so I usually check the oil level when I get gas just to be sure. If you want some pictures let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I wish Ford didn't do away with the sensor in the 99+ cars. I really believe this is why half those 2V engines are plagued with rod bearing failure because owners didn't know they were down a couple quartz. SMH.

OP
OP
O

Ogre39

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a pan, and thanks for all the replies so far. On Ford's parts site they have the pan with the sensor for just under $200. Rally didn't want to spend that much since I can get a new pan without the sensor provision for about $90.

The sensor is so big, that I don't think the punch/tap method would work. If anything, the best route might be to weld a nut on the inside of the pan and use the rubber op-ring gasket that comes with a new sensor.

I have no problem checking the oil, as I do this on all my vehicles at least every two weeks. I just like the thought of keeping the sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online