Oil leak

Booboo

Reaction score
My 97 4.6 has all of a sudden developed a oil leak. It looks to me like it is eaither the oil pan or the rear seal. How can I determine for sure what it is?

Photo Dec 13 2022, 2 11 08 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 13 2022, 2 11 25 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 13 2022, 2 11 39 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 13 2022, 2 11 45 PM.jpg

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
clean it up good. see if you can tighten the pan bolts down at all. monitor frequently after the clean up to see if you can see it traveling down or seeping from the pan gasket.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Most likely the rear seal, but their are many opportunities for oil to seep out. Snakebit gave good investigative info.

If you do decide to tackle a rear main seal replacement, youll be cleaning and sealing up all the possible seep areas. And while you have the transmission down and flywheel off, may as well replace the clutch and throw out bearing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get under the car and just follow the oil as far up as you can go. Last year I had a leak I was chasing and I got down under the car and used my hand to feel the oil where I could not see it and followed it all the way up to the valve covers. I swapped their gasket, put it all back together and started cursing because it kept leaking so I did the same thing but this time when I got my hand above the valve covers I realize that it was actually the back of the seal between the lower intake and the block that it slowly made its way down the side to the bottom.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
even on the political section? :)
Well i would go that far. You political views are just that....yours. Given the damage you endured from an inbred step uncle as a child, we all overlook your out loud thoughts....lol

NicksGTR

Reaction score
Rear main seal leak you would have oil blown back covering the transmission. Is their evidence that the oil pan gasket is there or any evidence of silicone around the pan? Also, with the amount of coverage on the pan, someone could've removed the front cover and not properly sealed the corners? 2cents

d.garza18

Reaction score
I’d suggest the info above. You can also clean it really good and put some dye in it and look for the trace of it

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Just thought I would share an update. While trying to figure this out the hydroboost brake booster started leaking fluid all over the garage floor. So I spent some time fixing that, had to get one at the junk yard, could not find a new or reman one. Now that that is all fixed I have no more leaks. Must have been the booster all a long. The leak did not look like power steering fluid, it looked like oil so the booster wasn't even suspect. A few days driving it now and not a drop of anything on the floor.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I would share an update. While trying to figure this out the hydroboost brake booster started leaking fluid all over the garage floor. So I spent some time fixing that, had to get one at the junk yard, could not find a new or reman one. Now that that is all fixed I have no more leaks. Must have been the booster all a long. The leak did not look like power steering fluid, it looked like oil so the booster wasn't even suspect. A few days driving it now and not a drop of anything on the floor.
Keep in mind power steering fluid in these cars is actually ATF so it should red in color and still transparent. If it's brown and you can't see through it or even so dark to the point where you could mistake it for oil then you should change it out.

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Keep in mind power steering fluid in these cars is actually ATF so it should red in color and still transparent. If it's brown and you can't see through it or even so dark to the point where you could mistake it for oil then you should change it out.
That is what threw me off. Some of the fluid was red but most looked like oil. I recently replaced the steering rack so I had flushed and put in new fluid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.