Paint your needles

lutter94

Reaction score
So I bought some Mac white face gauges, and the needles looked bad with the white background.

Step 1: You need to take your needles off the gauges. I recently bought a Mac White Face Gauge kit, so it came with a couple little tools; however, you can use a fork. Use anything as long as you can put smooth even pressure on opposing sides on the back. After you get them off you can see that there is only paint on the back side of the needle, covered by a coat of white. If you paint over the front of the needles, they won't light up at night. To do it right you need to sand the paint off the back side. But first you need to take off the little black plastic cover off the back side. There are two small pins that hold it on, I used a knife and pryed it off (see pic). The pins will stay with the needle and I was able to pop them back on after they were painted.

103_9350b.jpg

103_9352b.jpg

After you can see the whole back side of the needle, take some sand paper (I used 400 grit because that's what I had around, other grits may work better or worse) mine seemed to work well, and sand off the paint. It takes some time, but you'll eventually get it all off.

103_9353b.jpg

After all the paint is off, take your paint (I used testers florescent red, I bought the fluorescent paint kit from testers, I was going to use the fluorescent orange, but got the bottles mixed up) and paint the back side. Keep the sides of your needles clean, you can wipe the paint off with a knife after it dries a little bit. If you have some paint on it when it's done, just take a rag with paint thinner and wipe the side of it down.

I Recommend that after you paint the needle put a coat of white paint on it. It acts like a primer, it keeps the paint bright and slows down the fading.
I forgot to take a pic of the white on the back of the needle but you get the idea.

When they are all painted, pop the plastic covers back on put them back on the gauges. YOUR DONE!..don't forget to calibrate your gauges, whichever way you chose to do it. Anyone with there preferred way to calibrate their gauges feel free to post it in this thread

103_9354b.jpg
103_9355b.jpg

104_6103b.jpg

Gotta admit it looks better than stock......

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
hey, sorry I haven't been on here much lately, I don't have any pics but I will take some tonight

OP
OP
L

lutter94

Reaction score
106_6418.jpg

It definately looks better than in the pic, they all look even at night. Same goes for the LED's. But the LED's have hot spots at dusk, after it gets dark, it all looks pretty even

catch_15

Reaction score
It should be noted that this will only work on the 94-95s. On the 96-98 needles, the plastic itself is actually orange...ask me how I know.

Echo

Reaction score
Anyone done this with blue? Or know another color that goes well with blue gauge lights?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it should really be noted how to take these off and put them back on correctly before anyone starts to pry them off. Been a while since we have had someone in the audio area asking how to correct needles that were not put on correctly.

Start your car and let it get up to normal operating temp and take a picture of the guages. When your done run the car for the same amount of time and then use the pic to put them back on in the correct position.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took a red sharpie and touched mine up. Looks great.
How about just sliding a piece of paper under the needle, then paint the needle.

Echo

Reaction score
it should really be noted how to take these off and put them back on correctly before anyone starts to pry them off. Been a while since we have had someone in the audio area asking how to correct needles that were not put on correctly.

Start your car and let it get up to normal operating temp and take a picture of the guages. When your done run the car for the same amount of time and then use the pic to put them back on in the correct position.

This was going to be a follow-up question. :) I've seen quite a few differing version of how to put them back on so I wasn't about to take them off without getting some good answers on that one. Thanks, ttocs.

I took a red sharpie and touched mine up. Looks great.
How about just sliding a piece of paper under the needle, then paint the needle.

Saw a thread where someone used red sharpie on another site. It didn't look horrible. As for painting while it's still on the cluster, the needles are actually clear, with a layer of paint on the backside where the LED would show through. It someone wanted to stay true to that, it'd be pretty hard to do anything with the needles still attached and I can't see the needles glowing as well as befoe using your method.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Saw a thread where someone used red sharpie on another site. It didn't look horrible. As for painting while it's still on the cluster, the needles are actually clear, with a layer of paint on the backside where the LED would show through. It someone wanted to stay true to that, it'd be pretty hard to do anything with the needles still attached and I can't see the needles glowing as well as befoe using your method.

actually they look quite nice. the light still shines through the needles. the only difference is the needlas are red vice orange.

Echo

Reaction score
actually they look quite nice. the light still shines through the needles. the only difference is the needlas are red vice orange.

Yeah the thread I mentioned there was a guy who sharpied, and a guy who painted both went red. Looked pretty much the same. I think I'll be actually removing my needles to do this though. Any suggestions on a color that would go nice with blue backlight? I'm leaning to blue but that seems too obvious.

pgfdv6

Reaction score
so i guess Im wondering still i have a 2000 V6 right now my gauge faces are stock (black with green glow) I was wondering if I sand the needles down a little bit and paint them white would it come out ok?

Echo

Reaction score
so i guess Im wondering still i have a 2000 V6 right now my gauge faces are stock (black with green glow) I was wondering if I sand the needles down a little bit and paint them white would it come out ok?

I don't see why not. I think some cars the needle plastic is colored, as opposed to having a layer on the underside like described above. Get some more input from someone who knows more about your year before continuing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online