PATS and running issue

Chris111

Reaction score
I know the topic has been covered but I'm not finding direct formation to my situation.

I I was driving back roads aggressively and I noticed that the car was cutting out while I was cornering and applied throttle. It even bucked from a stop. I noticed on the way back cruising below 2000 rpms that the car had a miss. I was steady throttle in fourth gear at 1500 rpms and the car would randomly lose power for several seconds and the it would go back to normal. Almost like fuel pressure was lost or the tips had a dead spot. The weird thing was that the tach would drop to zero rpm when it happened but all the lights were still on. Then the theft light started blinking rapidly and steady.

Got it the car home and then came out this morning and the theft light was on and the car wouldn't start. I unhooked the battery and reset. Then the car started and theft light was gone but the car seems like it has a misfire or something of the sort.

Does the pats use a anti tilt or roll? Will it cut out at angles or loads?

I'm stumped here.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no it does not use anything like that. There is a transmitter/receiver antenna up on the ignition that might have got knocked loose.

OP
OP
C

Chris111

Reaction score
Cousin you elborate on the part by the ignition?

i went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and nothing changed. I might try the coils next but don't imagine both being bad unless they are related by ground or something weird. I know volkswagons are like that. One pack can cause the entire car to break up.

OP
OP
C

Chris111

Reaction score
I should have said that the theft light hasn't come back and the car started without a problem. It just seems to have a misfire below 2000 rpm still.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the pats system uses a passive transponder system. The car sends a signal(wirelesly) and then receives the response from the key. They need to be right next to each other and if they are not it will trip the pats system.

OP
OP
C

Chris111

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the sensor is attached to the ignition switch. I don't see how that could be moving around. I'll have to take the covers off the colum tomorrow and look. Anything particular with these that are common problems?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the key has a chip in it but the antenna/receiver that transmits and receives the signal is on top of the ignition. Just a coil of wire but if it was loose and you were turning quickly it could cause a problem.

OP
OP
C

Chris111

Reaction score
Isn't the pickup around the key cylinder? I don't see how it could one breaking signal if it's a round circle around it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the key has a chip in it but the antenna/receiver that transmits and receives the signal is on top of the ignition. Just a coil of wire but if it was loose and you were turning quickly it could cause a problem.

Isn't the pickup around the key cylinder? I don't see how it could one breaking signal if it's a round circle around it.

Ok now Your asking the question I just answered, and then asking a question I just answered.... The transponder system was one of the first and it didn't have much range. Modern systems can be with in a few feet and work but these needed to be with in inches to work and just a small difference could mean it would not work. The bypass systems for remote starts could be tricky to get to work because of this and it was not uncommon to find that someone had just hot glued a key to teh bottom of the ignition to make an easy/stupid bypass. It needs to be RIGHT on top of it to work I mean if you got a foil gum wrapper in the way, it might not work