Pics/How-To: Lower Rear Bumper Paint/Refinishing

SoddyRebel

Reaction score
Some mustangs have it, some dont, and some are just faded/grey looking. Well mine was faded/grey looking, so i decided to paint "refinish" mine. Heres some pics and a little how-to if you would like to do the same. Let me kno if you have any questions.

Materials Used:

Krylon Fuzion. Gloss Black
3M Green Automotive Tape
Soap & Water
Painters Paper
Microfiber

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

I first Started out by jacking the rear of the car up to make it easier to paint.

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

I then washed the area to be painted with soap and water until clean. Wipe Dry With Microfiber

IMG_2750.jpg

Then tape off a clean & straight edge around the area to be painted.

IMG_2752.jpg

Continue by using paper to cover the rear/sides/exhaust of car to prevent overspray on the paint.

IMG_2754.jpg

Spray light coats until fully covered. Be sure to get above the tailpipes, it can be tricky.

BEFORE:

IMG_2751.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_2760.jpg

Final Pics:

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
good write up, but im gonna move it to the "how to section" lol

and if you want a more "flat black" opposed to gloss, Duplicolor offers flat black bumper paint. that is what i used to paint mine

OP
OP
S

SoddyRebel

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
good write up, but im gonna move it to the "how to section" lol

and if you want a more "flat black" opposed to gloss, Duplicolor offers flat black bumper paint. that is what i used to paint mine
sry, forgot there was a how-to section

joekd

Reaction score
Prep is everything, you want to make sure you get all the wax off the area to be painted

I lightly sanded the area with a scotch brite pad to help the new paint stick. Also I went a little higher on my masking line so the ridge is painted as well

Here's mine

detail054.jpg

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I also used Duplicolor bumper coating....came out Great!!!!

ALS97GT

Reaction score
i was thinking about doing this on my car, wouldnt stand out much cuz the cars dark green but i like this alot. and i wanna black out the tail lights too. i think it would look sweet. what do you think?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
ALS97GT said:
i was thinking about doing this on my car, wouldnt stand out much cuz the cars dark green but i like this alot. and i wanna black out the tail lights too. i think it would look sweet. what do you think?

i think every 94-98 mustang should have this painted, no matter what color the car is. a flat black would look pretty sick on a dark green car

gtvertman44

Reaction score
My '96 actually doesn't have it (I suspect the bumper was repainted at some point) and that's been bothering me because my car is white!! Obviously this accent stands out the most on a white Mustang, especially one with a black convertible top and black bullitt wheels lol. I'm gonna go gloss black with mine though (to stay with the shine of the rest of the bumper and the wheels. This write-up was helpful and your car looks great. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online