Possible gearbox issue?

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all, firstly happy new year to you all, hope you had a good one.
Unfortunately over the last two weeks my 2001 ford mustang GT with a Termec 3650 gearbox has not felt right. You can up shift and down shift into any gear you like without any problems, no grinding, banging or any other bad sounds at all.
Now the issue or possible issue is this. Doesn't matter what gear you are in or what speed or rpm you are doing you dip the clutch pedal as you should but you only have to touch the gear stick and it jumps out of gear, there is no effort needed at all it's as if its about to pop out of gear it's self. Now the higher the rpm as I said dose not make a difference to the amount of pressure needed to knock the car out of gear BUT the higher the rpm is the rougher it feels.
I hope this makes sense

07GtS197

Reaction score
Where is your clutch engagement point in the pedal travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Put your foot behind the clutch pedal and pull it up hard. Then push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
The engagement point is with in the first half travel of the pedal movement. I've just been reading about the clutch pedal should have some play in it, about half an inch of movement before you feel any resistance on the pedal, I do not have that my pedal has the same resistance on it though out the pedal travel. I also have a clutch cable adjuster in the engine bay but not 100% sure what it does yet

07GtS197

Reaction score
Its worth a try adjusting it, it could be the clutch isnt engaging all the way. I’ve never played with a firewall adjuster but I know its pretty simple its just tightening or loosening the cable. You may have to loosen your cable just a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Yep that worked. Slacked of the clutch cable so I had about 1/4" of pedal play/free play before the pedal pressure increased and all is good but I need to fine tune it because now the pedal has to be basically on the floor/ fully depressed to change gears where as before I only had to push the pedal less than half way to change gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.