Quick 4v cam cover question...

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
im removing my cam covers tommorrow!

Will I have to remove the spark plugs before the cam covers can come off? or can the stay in?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
on my 2004 cobra motor i removed the spark plugs to inspect for damage or signs of a bad engine, they cam out clean and I put them back in the motor... theyve stayed in the motor since day 2.

removed the valve covers, blower, intake manifold, .... they can stay in for pretty much anything, even a whole head removal.

switch96

Reaction score
Good luck getting those back on... if you ever get them off lol. It is, in fact, possible. But I'd almost rather pull the engine then try that job again (and I'm not exagerrating). Make sure to use lots of foul language.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Follow these steps,
Driver Side:
1.Disconnect clutch cable from pedal assembly and unscrew from firewall and pull out.
2.Remove oil dipstick tube
3.Disconnect EGR tube from egr valve
4.Remove intake hat and air intake tube
5.Push on the egr tube to bend a little toward the pass side (give you enough room to pull valve cover)
6.Ready to pull driver valve cover off...you will have to wiggle it out, might take a few tries but it does come out.

Passenger Side:
1.Disconnect fuel lines to fuel rail
2.Remove fuel rails (4 screw hold it down to the intake, I believe they are 8mm)
3.Disconnect heater hose closest to ac evaporator (becareful with the vaccum line that goes into the firewall, don't break it)
4.Pull valve cover (pass side is easier to pull and install)

As for the spark plugs, they can stay in the heads; no need to remove them.

danielson631

Reaction score
^ on the passanger side i didnt have to touch the fuel lines or fuel rail. i wouldnt have attempted to remove them if i was sure i had to. i dont like messing with fuel. i didnt touch the heater hose either, it didnt seem to be in the way at all. i did remove the TB for extra clearance though.

on the driverside i just removed the EGR from the manifold and slightly pushed it up. i didnt remove the clutch cable, only the bracket against the framerail, and that gave me enough clearance. however i did get under the car and unbolt the motor mount to K nut and lifted the engine on that side. and that made things 100 times easier i think.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
I didn't lift the engine whatsoever; I just listed everything that he can do to make the actual removal of the valve covers easier. I don't see how you removed your covers without disconnecting the fuel lines from the fuel rail. In my car it was nearly impossible to remove them without disconnecting them. Its no big deal disconnecting the fuel lines/rails, probably one of the easier parts of this process. I removed the dipstick tube because I did not want to scratch the valve covers during removal/installation.

killerSVTcobra

Reaction score
Old thread but, I didn't have to lift my motor or disconnect the EGR. I pulled the dipstick and the hydroboost off and the drivers side came right off. I didn't do the passanger side but it looks like I would have to pull the whipple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online