Racing seat help

GT3FC

Reaction score
Hey yall I am about to purchase a racing seat but first I have a question. there is a version of the seat that fits up to a 38" waist then a version the fits up to a 42" waist. I have a 37" waist and I'm not sure which one I should get. I feel like the 38" might be a little too snug but the 42" will be too loose. I'v never had racing seats so I really have no idea if I'm correct or not. The seats are the Corbau FX series (fx1 pro is smaller, fx1 is 38", then fx1 wide if 42"). Anyone have any experience with these seats and how they fit?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
most companies give exact specs on the seats. i'd measure the ones you have now and compare. i wear a 38 and the procar seats from jegs were perfect.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
yes I know that but I have never had racing seats before so I do not know if I should order bigger or not to be comfortable. I think having a seat up to a 42" waist with a 37" waist might be too big. but a 38" fit for 37" waist might be a little tight

RichV

Reaction score
Don't just chance it. Go to a road race shop and actually sit in them. Get an idea of what you feel comfortable in. And get 2 unless it's a race car without a passenger seat.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go with the bigger size. I have a set of Forza's, started off with the standard (up to 36" waist) and ended up getting a Wide (up to 42" waist). Still held me fine, snug, but not too much so like the standard was. I'm a 36" waist.

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I second the suggestion to actually sitting in some prior to your purchase. I'm quite fit, 170lbs 32 waist and my cipher seats are snug on me, when I have a larger passenger I can noticeably tell they're not comfortable.

Lebeter

Reaction score
i have some fx1 pro's standard size. i'm 6'3 38" waist depending on pants manufacturer and I fit snug but not uncomfortable for me. I'm fairly tall so i carry the weight a little more evenly. I personally like it but you might want to go sit in a seat somewhere and see for yourself especially if you buy them new. I purchased mine used but in excellent condition so I took a gamble.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Don't just chance it. Go to a road race shop and actually sit in them. Get an idea of what you feel comfortable in. And get 2 unless it's a race car without a passenger seat.

I plan on getting 2. Just not right now. I was saving up for 2 but I cant race without one and My buddies started going to the track again and its got me pissed because I cant race. I'll be able to afford one in a week or so after I make my car payments and insurance payments. I do plan on buying 2 though not right now

RichV

Reaction score
Why can't you race without this seat? Never heard of such a rule. Do stock seats not pass tech? Who are you racing with?

RichV

Reaction score
I cant race without the seat because I have a 6pt roll bar

Is this a NHRA rule? And what type of 'race seat' do you need? Does it need a SFI or FIA rating?

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Is this a NHRA rule? And what type of 'race seat' do you need? Does it need a SFI or FIA rating?

well It says I need at least a 5pt harness with the roll bar. but in order to have the harnesses Im pretty sure NHRA regs say you need a seat designed for harnesses. Im not sure as to the seat rating any help would be awesome if you know

RichV

Reaction score
http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf

If you read section 10.5, it states cars with a OEM seat can run the crotch strap infront of the seat instead of through the seat. So you can just go that route.

Also, the rules state for cars in competition. Sounds to me like the rule is for actual race competition, not to just do street car stuff. But you should clarify this to be 100%.

Just go and get the car tech'd. There is so much other stuff that they check, specially for nitrous.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf

If you read section 10.5, it states cars with a OEM seat can run the crotch strap infront of the seat instead of through the seat. So you can just go that route.

Also, the rules state for cars in competition. Sounds to me like the rule is for actual race competition, not to just do street car stuff. But you should clarify this to be 100%.

Just go and get the car tech'd. There is so much other stuff that they check, specially for nitrous.

yea I know I'm trying to get all up to tech for the first time I go out with this car. I dont get to go often only when I get the right day off....I would hate to get a day to go and end up not racing because I cant pass tech. I did see that in the regulations after I started talking about buying a racing seat...but honestly I dont like the look of a harness on an OEM seat..to some that might sound like a stupid money to spend the money on a racing seat....but I did haha...I decided on an fx1 and I got it in the mail today:

IMG_20140823_141256_nopm__zpsbd4ebb40.jpg

Also I believe I have all the bases covered when it comes to nitrous ass soon as I get my jacket and gloves. My bottle is in the trunk so I will not need a blow down tube. the line is routed outside the car..if there is anything that you know of that I am missing pertaining to nitrous please let me know

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I got the seat put in the morning and all I can say in wow! It doesn't feel like I'm sitting in a gig chair while driving my car anymore... I did run into some problem the mount I had originally bought for my anti submarine belt will no longer work because of the shape of the brackets for the seat.... Anyone know what's the best way to mount one? Just drill a whole under the back of the seat with some washers and a reinforcement plate?

RichV

Reaction score
Mine is just bolted through the floor under the seat with large washers.

I haven't drag raced with nitrous since 2006, but I know a blow down tube is something they look for. If you can fold a seat down to get to the trunk space, they want one. Also the bottle needs to be certified for pressure, should have a date stamped on it. Used to be good for 2 years from the stamp. And the brackets needed to be metal and be bolted through the metal, not just self tapping screws.

Like I said, it's been a while since I was at the strip, but that was stuff I got nailed on at Bandimere Speedway years back.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are the chances that you will loose weight later greater then if you gain weight in the future? I don't know many people like myself with out chrones disease that see themselves loosing weight as they get older.

I think I can make it easy though. Are you married now or going to be married shortly? If the answer to either is yes then definitely get the big boy seats :) I call it like I see it.

RichV

Reaction score
Are you saying married people get fatter Scott? Lol

Ive been married for 16 years and haven't gained anything significant. Been within 15 lbs if HS senior weight for the last 25 years.

My Sparco is a 32" seat.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I got the 38" FX1 and man am I glad I didn't get the wide version of the seat. Judging how the mid size fits me I would guess the smaller version would be a perfect fit for a 100% track car..I got lucky they were back ordered on the wide version so I switched to the mid size...I got lucky!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Are you saying married people get fatter Scott? Lol

Ive been married for 16 years and haven't gained anything significant. Been within 15 lbs if HS senior weight for the last 25 years.

My Sparco is a 32" seat.

Ah ha sure.... I suppose you are going to tell me you still get laid daily too right? ;) BY YOUR WIFE?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online