Rattling engine noise on cold start

badass98svt

Reaction score
Was this issue ever diagnosed? I have an '01 Cobra with 4v 4.6 and also have a momentary "rattle" at cold start, but it happens during every cold start not just sitting for a few days. My car has ~70k miles and I plan to auto-cross race it more regularly next year and want to make sure I don't need to replace bearings before I start. Right now I daily drive it without any knocking/rattling sounds after cold start.
Chains or tensioners?
Edit:Just realized I got tree'd by CobraJeff

Last edited:

JPuehl

Reaction score
Seems like most cold start rattles are from chain tensioners not fully pressurized because of negative travel.
Excuse my not-knowing, but is this something to be concerned about or something (to learn) to live with? I just want to know what kind of additional maintenance I need to do to get the car ready.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I do believe MMR sells something to fix the Coyote chain tensioner issues which are under a Ford Technical Service Bulletin because of so many complaints of chain slap issues, but I'm not sure if they do anything for the 4.6L. It's worth snooping around on their site and maybe you'll find a product they sell that eliminates chain slap. If you're determined to keep the car, it's definitely cheap insurance as our mod motors are interference motors and the chance of chains jumping sprocket teeth are to be taken seriously.

OP
OP
B

BHernandez

Reaction score
Yes it was. Worn thrust bearing. Mine is a 2V non-PI but the bearings should be the same. It's usually the rear one. Hopefully you won't have any crank damage. I didn't fix mine. I just make sure to start it more often now. Even if I'm not going to dive it, I'll start it every other day and let it idle for 10 minutes, or so.

OP
OP
B

BHernandez

Reaction score
Timing chains rattle is very prominent at the front of the engine. The thrust bearing is most noticeable from inside the car as it's usually the rear bearing at crank/ block mating.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I go for FoMoCo instead. Found recently Motorcraft is China made, and I don't know for how long either. Could've been that way for a long while for all I know. FoMoCo filters are definitely more expensive, but if I have peace of mind they're still made in America, I'm going to keep getting those instead.

JPuehl

Reaction score
Timing chains rattle is very prominent at the front of the engine. The thrust bearing is most noticeable from inside the car as it's usually the rear bearing at crank/ block mating.
I can definitely hear the noise from the drivers seat during startup. I could have my wife start the car when it's cold while I stand on the side with the hood open and listen right from the middle of the motor to see which end the sound is coming from. Seems it could be one of multiple issues.

OP
OP
B

BHernandez

Reaction score
What's the milage? Have you had it since new? What's the possibility of being past redline?

JPuehl

Reaction score
The mileage is 69k, I bought the car in April, so no I'm not the original owner and I haven't taken it to redline but am not sure of it's history, which leads me to think that I probably should freshen it up before serious auto-cross, just in case.

OP
OP
B

BHernandez

Reaction score
Well if you get close to redline and that same rattle, it's definitely a thrust bearing.

SN95.oh

Reaction score
Well if you get close to redline and that same rattle, it's definitely a thrust bearing.
i have a noise when i cold start as well...5 speed 5.0 vert...only on cold starts with the clutch all the way in..half out or in just enough to start and its minimal and goes right away...ill post a video tonight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online