Rear Diff Drain/Fill Plug Torque Specs

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have this Ford Racing 8.8 Diff Cover.

Ford Diff Cover.jpg

Going to change the fluid out and looking at the instructions that it came with doesn't have any torque specs for the drain or fill plugs nor does it have a recommendation for any type of thread locker. Does anyone know the torque specs for the fill and drain plugs and whether or not I need thread locker on both or one of the plugs?

Thanks!

95GTS5L

Reaction score
Looks like its designed as straight through threads, that said IMO as long as the inside/backside of the plug is flush with the case when threaded in thats what i would be happy with AND based on my expierience with a similar set-up on my SN-95 and previous14 Shelby , Would add some permatex white thread sealant to the threads prior and it should not leak. Do a check on depth/feel of both plugs befire you actually install. I also highly recommend investing in a lube locker gasket unless the cover has an o ring with channel. Danny

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think LMR.com has a video on it.
FWIW, my Rule of Thumb is “snug + 1/4 turn”. Hasn’t failed me in 40 years!

No thread locker.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like its designed as straight through threads, that said IMO as long as the inside/backside of the plug is flush with the case when threaded in thats what i would be happy with AND based on my expierience with a similar set-up on my SN-95 and previous14 Shelby , Would add some permatex white thread sealant to the threads prior and it should not leak. Do a check on depth/feel of both plugs befire you actually install. I also highly recommend investing in a lube locker gasket unless the cover has an o ring with channel. Danny
Everything is already installed with a lube locker gasket. Just trying to change the fluid without pulling the cover and realized the instructions never came with torque specs for a general fluid change only for install. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
NEW EDG

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think LMR.com has a video on it.
FWIW, my Rule of Thumb is “snug + 1/4 turn”. Hasn’t failed me in 40 years!

No thread locker.
Their video is only on installing the cover. They don't have anything on a fluid change once the cover is already on.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Those are pipe thread, you don’t need torque specs on that. Just tighten the plug. You won’t use thread lock but you can use thread sealant (not rtv). Sometimes the sealer is needed, sometimes it is not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online