Rear Floor Grommets

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

So as I am waiting for a new motor for the rear window I haven't put the rear seat back in yet. We are currently having a ton of rain so thought I would check and see how much water is in there. Not as much as I thought, but spotted something I have never seen before - a grommet, and there's one each side...

IMG_20230916_144931539_HDR~2.jpg

What are they for?

I'm thinking remove and then I have a natural drain hole for any water that gets under there, but then also any water it goes through is potentially going to get up in there as well - catch 22.

Just curious as to what they are actually for.

Thanks in advance.

TMW

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Holes throughout the floorpan (or really any piece of sheetmetal in the car) are for the robots to grab onto during first assembly at the factory. After final assembly they install grommets to keep out water and bugs, so leave them in place.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
If you are having water leak issues, i usually pop one out while i troubleshoot. I know their purpose is to keep water out, but if water is pooling somewhere, i'd rather it have a place to drain and a place for air to help dry it out.

Obviously once the issue is corrected, replace them.

The trunk also has one at the bottom as well. This one is over the gas tank so it's pretty well protected from water from under the car. I've seen convertibles with bad leaks fill up the spare tire well and rust everything out. Pop that grommet at least gives that water somewhere to drain.

I'm just speaking generally, not specific to you OP.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Cheers for the thoughts Mustang5L5.

I was also toying with the idea of drilling a small hole where the water gathers, say 6mm or so, so there is an exit there and it can get out but it's not as big a hole as the grommet offering.

Would be harder for water / other elements to ingress through such a small hole as well - one each side...

TMW

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You could probably rig up some small one-way breather valve. There's places online you can buy them where they have threads and can bolt into sheet metal with a nut on the back side.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Are you aware that there are drains on the side near the outer rockers?

Right here, in front of each rear wheel. These frequently get clogged with debris.

1695309379361.png

When water can't drain from here fast enough, it spills over into the floor pan, especially the rear. The seal sealer Ford used wasn't really enough so there are various gaps in the seams. During heavy rain, this little hole (especially if clogged) doesn't drain fast enough so the rocker fills up and then leaks through the cracks into the floorpan.

I actually have this issue. I can see the water weeping through the seams. Some guys have used more seam sealer, or even silicone to better seal the seams in that area to force the water to pool and drain out the proper drain. Stick a coat hanger up and make sure it's clear as well as check the inside for leaves and other debris.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Yeah I've had those blasted out before.

I think it's getting in via possible missing rubbers round the windows - got more to look at on this another time...

TMW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online