Reducing Road Noise - SN95 Specific

shovel

Reaction score
Because forums are what they are I'm going to start here by saying I literally work for a company that manufactures commercial/residential/mobile audio equipment for OEM's and retail and have handled and installed acres of our own brand of deadener & others over the years - thank you for any constructive information but I'm not asking for a basic education I am looking for targeted tips specific to the SN95 platform and road noise originating from the front in particular.

My 96 has quite a lot of road noise coming from the front. It's on 225/50R17 all season tires, very recent Moog OE style control arms, KYB Excel-G (OE replacement style) struts, new KYB upper strut mounts and unbranded coil spring isolators. All motor mounts and exhaust hangers are new. It has an OE strut bar connecting both strut towers with the firewall and each other.

I don't think it has more road noise than it probably had when new (as in I don't believe there's something actually broken, I just want it quieter).

I've done significant deadening in the rear and I have 50 series Flowmasters which are very quiet off-throttle, have the OE air intake assembly with the horn so while the engine itself has a lot of mechanical noise there isn't much induction or exhaust noise at cruise. The under-hood insulation pad is intact and in place.

The two parts that remain noisy are engine mechanical noise and front road noise. The engine mechanical noise is easy to identify because it scales with engine RPM and in particular while the engine is under normal load. The road noise is easy to identify because it is extremely sensitive to road surface. If I'm on some extremely well-laid asphalt and coast in neutral there is very little noise of any sort, so wind noise is not a meaningful contributor.

Inner doors are deadened and vapor membrane is in place. I installed about 4 square feet of 80mil on the interior firewall while I was replacing the heater core a year ago. Probably could have done more, but that's what I had on-hand at the time.

So with that said, what are your thoughts for targeting additional noise abatement?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If you look at a lot of modern cars, they have extra material in place on the back sides of the splash guards and even up against the outer firewalls behind the splash guards. It could certainly help adding some closed cell foam in those areas. These are very old pics but they convey the idea.

Attachments

• 20170114_162715.jpg
    20170114_162715.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170114_162844.jpg
    20170114_162844.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 11

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took the stock jute material out from under the carpet and replaced it with a mass loaded vinyl and was happy with the result

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CBR51Stang

Members online