Removing Stock H-pipe from cobra

cobra97

Reaction score
Anyone with a 96-98 cobra ever have trouble getting stock H-pipe unbolted from the manifolds. The passanger side nut/stud is a bear to get a socket on even with extension and swivel.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
put some heat and some penetraiting oil to it and give it a try. I know I used a swivel and some extensions.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
They suck to get off. When I did my clutch I had to work around my H-pipe. Even with heat and penetrating oil I was afraid of breaking a mounting bolt/stud.

GearGambler

Reaction score
impact works good.

disconnect your battery!!! the starter is right there on the passenger side. you ground out that starter cable, and sparks will fly! ask me how i know this :)

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
They suck to get off. When I did my clutch I had to work around my H-pipe. Even with heat and penetrating oil I was afraid of breaking a mounting bolt/stud.
You'll break tools first. Trust me. I just broke three on the same nut.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
just put the heat to it first, or wait till the pb blaster or wd dries... or FLAMES will fly... ask ME how I know this...lmao

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Goindeafonmtx said:
uncltrvlnmatt said:
You'll break tools first. Trust me. I just broke three on the same nut.

I don't have cheap tools, they don't break very easily.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Even expensive tools break... i don't have a 4.6 but i did snap the stud on my manifold when I did my midpipe, luckily i was doing headers at the same time.

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
Well, I finally got it off :headbang:. A week of patients and soaking the darn thing with WD-40 and hitting it with the impact. That one stubborn bolt (the one on the far right side) finally came off. I also took a chance and cranked up the pressure on the air compressor cause i was getting tired of the slow battle. happy to say no broken studs, but did break my best 1/2" swivel. I am definatly going to put the new pipe on and use some never seize.

Putting on off road pipe tommorow. will let you guys know how it sounds.

OP
OP
C

cobra97

Reaction score
On and sounds darn good!!! Maybe a bit loud, but still awsome. :eek:ccasion14:

I put never seize on everything, next time if there is one. The sucker shouldnt be such a pain.

now its time to install A pillar and guages. at least I wont be under the car anymore.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Chrome universals are junk. You need one made for impact gun.

only problem with those is their bending is really limited.

Thats part of the problem with chrome universals. They bend to much and bind up, then snap you have a broken tool and peices of it embeded into your arm.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
OnyxCobra said:
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Chrome universals are junk. You need one made for impact gun.

only problem with those is their bending is really limited.

Thats part of the problem with chrome universals. They bend to much and bind up, then snap you have a broken tool and peices of it embeded into your arm.

Well there is still a happy medium between what an impact universal can do and what a chrome one does before it binds up. At any rate were you using the chrome one with an impact? How did you get it in your arm?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online

No members online now.