Reverse lights

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 2001 GT which was imported from the states to the U.K. and on the mustang there is no reverse light. Any way I have a camera to fit on the witch is activated buy the reverse light any one know how else I can hook the camera up?
Cheers

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
lets just try simple stupid and see if by any chance the wire is back there and just terminates at the harness where they would plug in the import light. It would have made it easier than having completely separate wire harnesses for the cars and streamline the manf line. Look in back at the light harness and see if there is a Yellow/white wire or if there is a wire that goes in one side of the harness but not the other. To test this wire it should go to +12v when you pu t it in reverse.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea mate. I will give that ago.
I have to ask are reverse lights not required in the states?
They are here in the UK, unless the car is an import and came without one from factory

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
You cannot pass annual inspection without working reverse lights, period. We are pretty weird with our laws, like you MUST have working wipers, but windshield/windscreen isn’t required. We aren’t nearly as strict about things as MOT. For example, I’ve passed with only 3 lug nuts once.

What probably happened was the previous owner had transmission work done recently and had no clue that it didn’t work because they can’t see it when driving, and it didn’t need an inspection. Something probably got knocked around/unplugged during service. I had that happen to me once.

I do recall however, my reverse camera, it will activate just fine, but if you need to drive forward and then back, it may not turn back on, but will if you shift to park then reverse.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
F428320B-2BE6-4D64-A0ED-85963CD18FDF.jpeg D7BF9F08-05E3-454D-827C-C845D74618A8.jpeg So were should the reversing light be in the cluster? Here’s a photo of my rear end

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by cluster I assume you mean the rear tail lights? The back up lights are in the lowest center portion of the lights closest to the license plate. The two small squares next to the GT and ford emblem should have a separate light in it.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
<Unnecessary post removed>

Attachments

• D3CBC7E1-B3B8-4DCE-8658-778D814350B0.jpeg
    D3CBC7E1-B3B8-4DCE-8658-778D814350B0.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Adfalenski

Reaction score
The reverse lamps are not in the trunk lid, they are at the lower inboard corners of the rear light elements themselves. Access the interior of the trunk where the rear light elements are located and you will find several nuts that hold the elements in place. Remove the nuts and pull the elements away from the car and look at the wiring harness. The sockets rotate 45 degrees and pull out. Replace the lamps and check if they are working. If so, put everything back together and check again if they are working. If they still do not work, you either have a reverse switch problem on the transmission or a wiring problem. Personally I feel that the reverse switch connector on the transmission is loose or disconnected.

Werecow

Reaction score
Agreed, if the tranny was ever out that can happen, I've seen it a lot, they either forget to plug in the reverse light switch or wire it up wrong so that they are on all the time..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
or after 20 yrs both lights are burned out. A quick voltage test to the socket going to the lights we described with the key on and in reverse will tell you if there is power there. If no power check fuses, then go for the switch on the tranny.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Right the lower inboard small almost clear squares next to the GT and ford Emblem are actually my indicators. In the U.K. we must have amber indicators on all four corners, we can not have flashing red lights on the rear. The three vertical lights on both sides all come on when I put the lights on and I can’t remember exactly but I think it was the outer vertical lights which came on for the brakes and the inner ones for the fog lights

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
hm... ...are you implying that your trunk doesn’t have any reverse lights at all? That spoiler isn’t factory. Does it effect where the reverse lamps should be in the pic?

View attachment 5286

That was weird. Sorry for my reply. The page literally stopped loading for me, and I saw no further replies beyond the OP pics (post #7). ...I also, for some reason had a brain fart and assumed reverse lights were licensed plate lamps. Please forgive my sudden inexplicable ignorance, while I go edit my previous reply.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Right the lower inboard small almost clear squares next to the GT and ford Emblem are actually my indicators. In the U.K. we must have amber indicators on all four corners, we can not have flashing red lights on the rear. The three vertical lights on both sides all come on when I put the lights on and I can’t remember exactly but I think it was the outer vertical lights which came on for the brakes and the inner ones for the fog lights

Hmm, that's strange. You might have to add the reverse lamps Cause your indicators are the reverse lamps here in the US.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1943769171

Save an eBay search for “mustang export taillights” You may also need the wiring harness for them too. I know you do for 94-98s.

Now, everyone here on this forum needs to make an agreement to NOT buy these or bid on them until he gets his own set. For us, it’s simply cosmetic, for him it’s a matter of being able to drive the car.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
New lights on order and on there way to me. Will install them once I’ve got the engine back in the car

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online