Rods and Pistons..

97cobra5485

Reaction score
alright, so i've decided to rebuild my engine..Question is, there is a guy i know whos got an 03 cobra, wrecked and parting the motor out.. He's got the Rods out of it (manly h beam), i wanna grab them off of him, but i dont' know what the bore is on them and if it will work in my motor..I've got a 97 cobra by the way..any help would be appreciated..thanks

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
if your motor doesnt need any machine work, which it probibly wont (depending on what happend to it if yours failed) then yea you can run the stock 03/4 piston BUT remember, thoes pistons were developed for a slightly lower compression ratio, so my advise to you would be take your oe crank, get the rods measured (big end) and then get some nice na pistons if your gonna stay na....

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
why not just take the whole engine and trans?? :thumbsup:
his oe block is stronger then the 03/4 block, and thoes pistons are set up for na. and funny stuff can happen to a block after an accident stress cracks and stuff like that just from the impact

OP
OP

97cobra5485

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
OnyxCobra said:
why not just take the whole engine and trans?? :thumbsup:
his oe block is stronger then the 03/4 block, and thoes pistons are set up for na. and funny stuff can happen to a block after an accident stress cracks and stuff like that just from the impact
Yea the block is staying, i'm not keeping it n/a so i guess i should just get the same pistons that the 03/04 cobra's use if i'm going to have the rods?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the car was hit in the right front there is a good chance that the block is cracked. The A/C bosses break off.

OP
OP

97cobra5485

Reaction score
So putting these rods and pistons will lower the compression to 8:5:1? as opposed to 9:85:1

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stock heads are the "B" head. You will lower your compression if you go with the pistons. Rods won't change it because the stroke is the same.

quadcammer

Reaction score
If your building your motor I would strongly suggest some machining, If your gonna do it then do it right. You'll probly have to go .10 over. How many kms on your motor now? Dont bother with used 03/04 guts.

OP
OP

97cobra5485

Reaction score
oh yea i'm def sending the motor out. Im actually getting it done pretty cheap, the guys a good friend of my family. I was gonna go .10 over actually, it just passed 100k miles, not sure what km that translates over to

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Ok, if your going p/a you can get a larger dished piston, go to dimond piston and get a set of their's and go from there. when you build a motor you first decide what your doing with your heads (send out to get cleaned up, new valves, all that good stuff) then you go get your pistons off fo what your heads are doing, then rods, crank. and go from there. you dont need to get 03/4 pistons but you can get something just as good/better for the same amount of the oe's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online