Seat belt locking question

CobraDK

Reaction score
Hi,

just bought my first SN95 (after selling my 66HT). A Cobra 97 convertible - cant wait to pick it up next week from the dealer :)

But I noticed that the seat belts dont lock as I expected them to. When pulling hard by hand, it only locks after releasing maybe 15 inches, by which you would have hit the steering wheel. Its the same for both front seat belts

I read somewere, that for some of these cars, it should really not lock just from pulling by hand. But that there is a pendul in the retractor that will only activate the locking if the car is moving. The dealer says that he has tested that it locks at a speed of 10-15miles

Both belts retract fine

But is this normeal behaviour ? Appreciate to learn if this is how its supposed to be

Thanks from Denmark

87hurricane

Reaction score
Yeah, they need momentum to lock, like a really quick movement in a crash situation. If they latch properly at the buckle they should be fine.

OP
OP
C

CobraDK

Reaction score
so you agree its normal you cant really lock just by pulling by hand ?

Yeah, they need momentum to lock, like a really quick movement in a crash situation. If they latch properly at the buckle they should be fine.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
only when you don't want it too. Sometimes they can get to sensitive and will lock up but no the idea is that when the car isn't moving you should be able to pull it out as far as yer fat arse needs it pulled out.

OP
OP
C

CobraDK

Reaction score
Also eventhough you pull hard by hand ? Still it should not lock ?

only when you don't want it too. Sometimes they can get to sensitive and will lock up but no the idea is that when the car isn't moving you should be able to pull it out as far as yer fat arse needs it pulled out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you were to really yank on the thing and I mean like your trying to pull start your mower then maybe. The whole idea behind the mechanism is that when the car isn't moving or especially decelerating then you should be able to pull it out all the way to the end if you need it. If it locked up when you just pulled it out every time imagine how annoying it would be to buckle yourself in?

OP
OP
C

CobraDK

Reaction score
Sure, you must be able to pull it out. But in my BMW, if I pull it hard (like starting the mover), it locks immediately. Just dont want to take any risk with safety ;-) Guess I will just have to test it out with a hard stop.... Thanks

if you were to really yank on the thing and I mean like your trying to pull start your mower then maybe. The whole idea behind the mechanism is that when the car isn't moving or especially decelerating then you should be able to pull it out all the way to the end if you need it. If it locked up when you just pulled it out every time imagine how annoying it would be to buckle yourself in?

OP
OP
C

CobraDK

Reaction score
Just did a test drive. And think it works as supposed. The flight seat belts locks just be pulling by hand. But the belt the goes across your should only locks at a hard brake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001