Seat dye, before and after pics

joekd

Reaction score
A lot of people ask how I got a perfect color match to the OEM saddle color on my racing seats. Since I recently had one replaced under warranty I thought you would enjoy some before and after pics. The bright white is exactly how it came out of the box, the saddle is my old one which was dyed over 2 years ago

seats105.jpg

seats106.jpg

seats107.jpg

Now here is all I used to dye them

seats109.jpg

I also used some nitrile gloves and paper towels which I don't think anyone needs pics of

Not too hard to do and comes out looking perfectly

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Wow, that looks great! That's exactly what my Mom told me to do with my seat to refresh them, I've got saddle too.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Here is that I did. Clean completely. Thin dye with distilled water, pour dye into preval sprayer along with a couple drops on bonding agent, spray on very lightly, use foam brushes to chase any drips. Repeat with 2 more coats always keeping very light.

Final coat I do with the brush, using full strength dye I put a very small amount into a cup and using the wideest foam brush I lightly wiped on any areas that looked light or any streaks.

Wait two days, wipe with leather protectant of choice. Done.

The most important thing to remember is use very light coats every time.

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Can I ask where you purchased the saddle color refinisher, and what's the number? My mom told me to get shoe dye but I want to try to match the color.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Wow, that looks great! That's exactly what my Mom told me to do with my seat to refresh them, I've got saddle too.

Squint and read the label :D

I bought it from www.leatherrenew.com Saddle # 6873

They have full recolor kits but i just bought the dye and bond aid agent from them, everything else I bought local or already had

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Considering that after two years there was barely a mark on them I would say they stand a good chance

The company that I bought the dye from also sells a "leather clear coat" which I am sure would help too but since my car is pretty much a perfect weather fun drive only I didn't even consider buying it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online