Shopping- Looking For Info

angrysam

Reaction score
Hey- Wife and I are moving south- decided to get her a GT convert. Trying to really keep it under 10k. This will be her DD- she only puts on about 5k a year as it is. Going to look at an 01 tonight with 118k. Little spooked about the mileage.

What do I need to specifically look at? What questions should I be asking the current owner or salesman?

I will take any advice I can get. I work service at a company that runs a lot of 5.4 and 6.8. Know a little about the mod motors but nothing specific to the 4.6 or Mustang platform.

Thanks.

OP
OP
angrysam

angrysam

Reaction score
Thank you. Twin Cities area of MN to Bradenton, FL. Return trip for me. First time out of the tundra for my wife.

Been chasing a Mustang for a long time. If this gets me a reason then so be it......

OP
OP
angrysam

angrysam

Reaction score
Yeah. My folks moved back in 98. We went down there almost every year. A few years I planned July and August trips just to break her in if we ever headed that way. I'll just keep her drunk and in the pool if she gets to unruly.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The 4.6 motor is a great motor. It's only downfall is there isn't many cheap ways to make power, but that shouldnt matter if its for the wife.
My car has 120xxx miles and the motor has never had any major problems. Keep it well serviced and maintained and it should hit 200xxx with ease.

The manifolds on the 01+ have an aluminium crossover, which is nice because it's not prone to cracking like the one in 96-00.
Also, if the convertible mechanism wasn't abused, it should work perfectly. The drop tops are great in my opinion. They look even better with a light bar :thumbsup:

Lastly, are you buying from a private seller or dealership?
The dealership is gonna overcharge you for a 99-04 mustang. A good condition 99-04 mustang Gt with around 100K miles goes for around 5-6K around here.

That's all I can think off right now off the top of my head. Let me know if you need me to shed some light on anything else.

OP
OP
angrysam

angrysam

Reaction score
Thanks. The one tonight is a private. Asking $6999. Hoping cash weakens his reserve. Hope he ain't reading this.

You're right about the dealers. Got to experience their "fair market pricing" speech last weekend. Gimme a break. Nice car- dark blue 01, 30k original miles. But it had more scratches than my wife's 70k mile Cobalt and the interior looked like it hadn't been cleaned since delivery. They were stuck on $9999. I was ready to go if they would come down to high 8's, 9 even tops. Nope.

Mods will matter because I can't leave anything alone.:laugh: But I am going to try and control myself on this. Some decent bolt on stuff and that will be about it. I think the light bar is a must in these. Damn they look good.

I learned the break down on the 2v and 4v versions on here all by my lonesome. Got my big boy britches on!

OP
OP
angrysam

angrysam

Reaction score
When do these things usually cough up water pumps, PS pumps, racks, shocks/struts?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome!

This cars are generally pretty good. And if something does happen they're fairly okay to fix.

Some of the other guys will know the specifics. But just check for the normal signs of wear and abuse. Make sure you give a car a good check everywhere, don't rush.

If you search I have a common problems guide for each motor (which reminds me I need to update...). I would provide a link but I'm on my phone. I think they're stickied in the specific motor section.

Good luck!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
welcome to the site!! I suggest inspecting the over-flow coolant tank, the gas tank filler tube grommet (where the filler tube enters the tank), visually inspecting the ball joints for torn boots, and making sure the climate control systems are working properly.

:) Good luck on the purchase! we'd love to see it!

joekd

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! My GT vert is for sale, 78K miles, fresh paint, rear end and much more

Link to my sale thread is in my sig

Will deliver anywhere for cost of gas and a plane ticket home

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'd stay away from anything upwards of 100k. 60-90k is a good range depending on the year.

OP
OP
angrysam

angrysam

Reaction score
Well we picked up an 01. More miles than I normally would buy but it was your typical old dude's car. He owned it since 2005 and it is pretty clean. Had to fix the anti-siphon in the filler neck yesterday and a couple wires in the driver's door pass through. Knew that going so I was prepared.

Now it needs the faster, louder, lower treatment.

Thanks for all of your help and ideas. Joe you have a great looking car but I've given up on trying to teach the wife to drive a manual.

OP
OP
angrysam

angrysam

Reaction score
Scored the first mod this morning. Dude on CL had a few month old BBK CAI. Even threw in a MAF sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican