Sniper Tuners

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
xsoutherngun89x said:
accordin to sniper site from what i can tell its just a cord from the laptop to the port, thats one of the seeling points on the site at least, but i :dunno: never seen it used or used it

That's why I am a little confuzzled. That's what it looks like to me to. I guess I am just looking at this from the pro racer package point of view where you have to still have a handheld and/or a chip.

Reaction score
if i decide to go this route and self tune(highly likely) i will do the sct pro package, i already have the tuner so it will be cheaper for me to go with them

Reaction score
not accordin to their website. SCT requires a chip ot tuner, but i dont think sniper does

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
They website doesn't really say one way or the other, special forces is just software, and Delta Force is software and the tuner. At any rate, you'll need to buy a funny cord. I'd rather have the handheld myself... I just don't like having a laptop in the car, could get broke, greasy, or some A hole might steal it.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
That is what I am debating right now. The pro racer package at least includes the handheld.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
well whether you need it or not, you can get the Sniper handheld with the software.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
It is looking like I am gonna have to make up my mind sooner rather than later about tuning because I am picking me up and auto tranny and am gonna be swapping it into my 5 speed car.

Don@LRT

Reaction score
Be sure to get a auto PCM for your year too - with just a handheld tuner/flasher, neither SCT nor Sniper will be able to turn on auto functions in a manual PCM - the hardware to control the tranny is just not there.

I'm not all that familiar with Sniper, but I assume for OBD 2 cars they give you a flasher that flashes the PCM through the OBD 2 port and for OBD 1 cars you'd have to get a chip and burner. OBD 1 cars' PCM cannot be flashed.

Don

2002BLGT

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
I have a question regarding the Sniper tuning software. If I purchase it, how do you get the tune from the laptop to the car's computer? Is there a handheld or chip that has to be used? or do you download the tune straight to the car computer from the laptop? Silly question I know but I am getting closer to getting my car done and I will need to either take it to a tuner or do it myself. I really want to learn to do it myself.

The Sniper Special Forces and Commando both come with an Interface flash box that you use to load the tunes to your car with , it is also the linking part to the Recon Datalogging software .......the interface comes with the kit and can store up to 5 custom tunes and the stock tune

2002BLGT

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
xsoutherngun89x said:
accordin to sniper site from what i can tell its just a cord from the laptop to the port, thats one of the seeling points on the site at least, but i :dunno: never seen it used or used it

That's why I am a little confuzzled. That's what it looks like to me to. I guess I am just looking at this from the pro racer package point of view where you have to still have a handheld and/or a chip.

With Sniper Commando flash and chip version you have the interface for flashing and the chip and chip burner for the chip version , they are both $699 shipped , but the Commando flash version also comes with Special Forces which is their program that helps you build the tune yourself with easy to use drop down menus ....

2002BLGT

Reaction score
J.R. said:
They website doesn't really say one way or the other, special forces is just software, and Delta Force is software and the tuner. At any rate, you'll need to buy a funny cord. I'd rather have the handheld myself... I just don't like having a laptop in the car, could get broke, greasy, or some A hole might steal it.

both kits come with the interface , OBD2 cord and usb cable to connect to your computer , its comes with both kits

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
So you can load the tunes onto the interface, and load them onto the ecu at the tack without a laptop?

2002BLGT

Reaction score
J.R. said:
So you can load the tunes onto the interface, and load them onto the ecu at the tack without a laptop?

yes you can use any windows computer XP works best and right now the brand new 64 bit processor computers are not yet compatible but you can use any computer to build the tunes and load them on the interface and then you can swap tunes at the track with just the interface just as any handhelds ......datalogging does require a laptop though since with the datalogging the interface is just a passthru device basically ....