Tuner questions…

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Would love to optimize performance. Now that I have the 347 stroker, solid TKX transmission and Ford Performance 3.55 rear gears, I’d like to research the options (if any) to upgrade the tuner. I’m thinking about fuel and street performance , not a gas guzzling beast! It already does just fine in that department:-(

badass98svt

Reaction score
Hahaha just looked up CA and their smog tests. They test on cars all the way back to 1975.

Here in MA my daily driver Fusion just became exempt this year. (MA only goes back 15 years).

One more reason California blows.

joemomma

Reaction score
Are the Holley systems CARB approved?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are the Holley systems CARB approved?
Most of the main players, if not all, have CARB compliant setups. And yes, California is a PITA to tiptoe the line between maximizing performance and passing emissions. It’s also the state with the most taxes, across the board, bar none :-(

But, back on point… anyone have any options for my platform??

Thanks everyone!

joemomma

Reaction score
Didn't you get it tuned on the dyno initially? Has something changed?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have no information about anything in Cali, so you're on your own there to figure out what will fly and what won't, but there's not a ton of options for our cars, but you don't really need a ton.

How is the car tuned now?

Moates was in the game for awhile, but it was a chip added onto the factory ECU, so it was a bit limited by our ECU's performance. They're not available new anymore, so finding one secondhand is the only option there. Should be low on the list.

Microsquirt / Megasquirt options are out there. PimpXS is a Megasquirt system, EFISource has a SN95 option, both pretty much plug-n-play. Megasquirt stuff is $900+, Micro is $550. Same basic idea, but Megasquirt has a lot more I/O options.

Holley has a handful of options, and I know Anderson has a plug-n-play option for their Teminator X, I think it's around the $2k mark.

Do you have a tuner lined up to get the car ironed out? Any competent tuner should be able to work with either Squirt option or Holley, but some are picky and some have their preferences so getting a tuner lined up that you trust might be the best option in deciding which ECU to go with.

I'm a cheap bitch so I went with the Microsquirt. It will do everything I need to do - H/C/I and Vortech on a relatively stock car. Nothing trick, nothing crazy. Holley or Squirt are going to go to be Speed Density, so MAF will be leaving the chat and you will have to run a wideband O2 sensor to them as well - relatively minor deals for both.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know; I’m kinda screwed. But all said and done I guess I shouldn’t complain. Tonight I smoked a M4!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Who was the guy with that put the 2JZ in his sn? Wasn't he out in cali? His tuner might not be the one for you but I would think he knows the laws at least.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think I’ll call Full Throttle Kustomz back; confirm WHEN I had the tune done. And, if it was in fact BEFORE the engine was upgraded to a stroker, ask about upgrading my tune as well.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Think I’ll call Full Throttle Kustomz back; confirm WHEN I had the tune done. And, if it was in fact BEFORE the engine was upgraded to a stroker, ask about upgrading my tune as well.
Where in Cali are you ? Six50motors . Or d’z garage would be my go to for mustangs

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Eh, too much hassle. Think I’ll just leave well enough alone. Engine and tranny are humming along together nicely right now, so….

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Eh, too much hassle. Think I’ll just leave well enough alone. Engine and tranny are humming along together nicely right now, so….
Yea I’d leave it for now too .

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Recently added FR3 friction reducer. Thought I’d give it a shot, hoping for the best but realizingbthecsnake oil possibility. It seems to have helped. Ever since, the motor rev’s smoother and just “feels” better. I’m thinking it was a good decision and I’m happy with the results so far!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Where in Cali are you ? Six50motors . Or d’z garage would be my go to for mustangs
I’m in Ventura County, between Camarillo and Moorpark. About 50-60 miles north of SmelL.A.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Both places I mentioned are in the Bay Area

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I checked them both out. A tad far, but thx!

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
Personally I'd be going down a technically CA illegal route, run a decent aftermarket ecu ie Haltech/Link as a piggyback to the original so that you have the best options for emissions testing and the testing outfit will happily check that the stock ecu is there seemingly doing the impossible.

There's plenty of places in the harness where you could splice in a couple of AMP connectors that would be out of site and mind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.