Stock shortblock, 350-375 hp with HCI?

94RioRedSnake

Reaction score
This is my first post, so hopefully I'm posting in the right place with the right etiquette.

I have a 1994 cobra with a stock shortblock. I've been looking at a lot of forums and it seems it's possible to get 350+ hp out of a stock shortblock n/a using the right combination. I'm really impressed with the results using the 11R 190cc heads. What other supporting mods would I need to get the most out of those heads? Obviously a new cam and maybe my cobra intake ported by TMoss would flow enough?

I'm considering learning tuning and getting a quarterhorse for a tune, or else I would take it to a pro and get it tuned. What about exhaust, cai, MAF, tb? I think I would need a new fuel pump, but are the stock 24# injectors enough? Seems like I would need somewhere between 24# and 30#. I'm trying to get an idea of what the HCI and all of the supporting parts would cost me. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You need to have a conversation with Ed Curtis @ Flowtech Induction. You will need a well matched top end centered around a custom cam. Another gentleman who would be a massive help would be Woody @ Fordstrokers.com. We can all make suggestions but you will get the best results you if you follow a prescribed route from professional advice.

While your TMoss intake could very well be enough to make 350 hp, you will need a more useable RPM range to make the power you want with limited cubic inches. You would be better served with a Trick Flow Track Heat or R intake to work well with those heads. Your off the shelf cam shaft choices with stock pistons are limited and will likely be the hinderance. The 24# injectors would probably work just fine but 36# squirters would gove you room to grow. You will have no need for anything larger than a 75mm throttle body unless you want to turn 7000+ RPMs which would shorten that stock short blocks life. The AFM power pipe is a great choice for a cold air but I would consider swapping to a fox style throttle body setup to straighten the airflow out and it generally looks better. A Lightning 90mm MAS or card type MAS in a 90mm housing would suffice. You shouldn’t run anything smaller than 1 3/4” long tube Headers with a 2.5” exhaust of your choosing. You need to upgrade to at least a 190 lph fuel pump and upgrade to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

OP
OP

94RioRedSnake

Reaction score
You need to have a conversation with Ed Curtis @ Flowtech Induction. You will need a well matched top end centered around a custom cam. Another gentleman who would be a massive help would be Woody @ Fordstrokers.com. We can all make suggestions but you will get the best results you if you follow a prescribed route from professional advice.

While your TMoss intake could very well be enough to make 350 hp, you will need a more useable RPM range to make the power you want with limited cubic inches. You would be better served with a Trick Flow Track Heat or R intake to work well with those heads. Your off the shelf cam shaft choices with stock pistons are limited and will likely be the hinderance. The 24# injectors would probably work just fine but 36# squirters would gove you room to grow. You will have no need for anything larger than a 75mm throttle body unless you want to turn 7000+ RPMs which would shorten that stock short blocks life. The AFM power pipe is a great choice for a cold air but I would consider swapping to a fox style throttle body setup to straighten the airflow out and it generally looks better. A Lightning 90mm MAS or card type MAS in a 90mm housing would suffice. You shouldn’t run anything smaller than 1 3/4†long tube Headers with a 2.5†exhaust of your choosing. You need to upgrade to at least a 190 lph fuel pump and upgrade to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Thanks, there seems to be a lot of people that recommend Ed Curtis. I hadn't thought about a fox style tb/intake but I do like the idea of a straighter path for air.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks, there seems to be a lot of people that recommend Ed Curtis. I hadn't thought about a fox style tb/intake but I do like the idea of a straighter path for air.

There won’t be much power difference between the two but you’re very limited to Intake choices keepin the SN95 or TB adaptor elbow setup intact. Another thing I didn’t mention was valve train and a quality harmonic balancer. You don’t want to spare any expense there.

Ed Curtis is one of the top names in this sector! You won’t be disappointed and he will give you a very long spec sheet with multiple options for every aspect of your combination. He leaves nothing to chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online