Straight pipe questions.

Stock982v

Reaction score
Previous owner the got the car straight piped sounds great and all but when I finally took the time to look at it , its literally from the cats back no x or h pipe is that Ok,if so can I do a cat delete Pros Cons?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Doing the cat delete will megaphone the exhaust. You see...the cats smooth and dissipate alot of the exhaust pulses. Honestly, cat and straight pipd is a really good sound thats not super harsh. If you like it loud, delete the cats.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have my cut outs after the cats. When they are opened it def sounds better but not too loud.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ Exactly! Its all fun for a weekend cruiser on short trips, but daily driver? Heck no!

07GtS197

Reaction score
When I pulled my dash to replace my evaporator core in my 07 gt, after I put it back together I took my flowmaster axle backs off to swap to my m80s and muffler deletes. It was stupid loud when getting on the gas at all but mellow at idle. I laughed my ass off the entire drive lol.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the sound of my car, it's a bit understated and subtle, but has a nice healthy sound. I have straight pipes (no cats) with Dynomax/Walker super turbo mufflers. I am a fan of the sound. Quite tolerable while not being stock.

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
And as a bonus everyone you pass by has to hear it too :cool:

[video=youtube;9ta-6uNS2jk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta-6uNS2jk[/video]

It sounds very similar to that one, I don't even have a crossover in the mid pipes. Luckily its not a daily driver or even registered for street use

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought straight pipes meant no muffler no cats?

I really like the sound of my car, it's a bit understated and subtle, but has a nice healthy sound. I have straight pipes (no cats) with Dynomax/Walker super turbo mufflers. I am a fan of the sound. Quite tolerable while not being stock.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought straight pipes meant no muffler no cats?

That's exactly what it means. Straight pipes always came straight off the headers and ran straight back. No cats, no crossover, no mufflers.

Really loud and no real gains other than no restrictions. Not having some sort of crossover isn't really recommended as it promotes better flow by equalizing pressure from one side to the other. With long tubes it may not be as big of a deal but with shorties I'd seriously recommend against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I agree with the crossover part. When I have the whole exhaust system redone in the future it will have a h-pipe on it even with the long tubes. I had it done this way as an expediency measure to correct the exhaust circus that was under my car from the previous owner adding cats as an afterthought to try and pass emissions which he still couldn't do due to a rich condition it seems. I need to get a tuner now so I can turn off the rear 2 o2 sensors and then start the quest of finding out why this car runs rich.

The previous owner did tell me he started having air/fuel ratio problems and replaced the injectors and a lot of other things but to no avail.

Defiant

Reaction score
I've always had this annoying friend of a friend type guy, with a early 2000s model Mercedes c class v6. He went to a random cheapo muffler shop and had them cut off his exhaust from the cat-back and weld on some cheap pipes with no mufflers or resonators. It wasn't even stainless, and eventually the ugly tip at the back completely rusted through (in less than a year). He swore it was "straight piped" and called it "catback straight pipe" sometimes. Wtf man.

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I've always had this annoying friend of a friend type guy, with a early 2000s model Mercedes c class v6. He went to a random cheapo muffler shop and had them cut off his exhaust from the cat-back and weld on some cheap pipes with no mufflers or resonators. It wasn't even stainless, and eventually the ugly tip at the back completely rusted through (in less than a year). He swore it was "straight piped" and called it "catback straight pipe" sometimes. Wtf man.

lol cat back straight pipe that's hilarious.

that's straight pipe for those that really want straight pipe but know they can never get away with cutting off the converters and all lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
nice on a benz. YEARS ago now we had a customer that he was in a huge accident, got a settlement and then proceded to blow $75 in our store between home/car and furniture. Funniest parts is we would not work on his car because he had worked on it too much. It was a high end lexus that I kid you not one day I heard pull in and I was sure it was an old chevy truck about to die based on the sound. To turn around and see his lexus I almost died laughing. Kid was broke 9 months later with a realy badly running car, a really nice home stereo and that was about it.

Defiant

Reaction score
Hahah. People man, they just have no mechanical sympathy. That same guy who had the Benz later bought a Audi A4 with some light mods and was stoked how cheap he got it. We pulled up the carpet in the trunk and revealed it was completely totaled previously. He sold it to some guy and a month later the guy calls back pissed because the engine blew up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy