tensioners?

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Found a 1996 Cobra SVT that needs work. Says the tensioners are bad but he has new ones but no time or place to fix it. He said he started it and after 10 seconds had no oil pressure so shut it down. The way it read this was related to the tensioners?
know nothing about these 4.6's.

Says car needs tires and brakes as well as paint. Not sure what else but for $6000 I'm thinking it needs more than that. Biggest concern being the oil pressure issue. Says the car has sat for about the last 10 years

07GtS197

Reaction score
Sounds like a money pit to me. Oil pressure is created by the pump which is driven directly by the crank with a set of gears. Unless you have 20k to blow I’d pass.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If the tensioners were bad you'd hear the primary long chains rattling as the motor spins (under combustion). Depends on how they were reading pressure. If it's off the cluster gauge, chance the gauge, the sender, or the wiring in between them (or any combination thereof) is at fault and there is just a false positive. If they had some kind of hydraulic line connected to some point of the system where they read actual fluid pressure with an external gauge, and in fact read zero pressure (especially on cold start when pressure should be somewhat high and definitely observable with such a method) then it's definitely a mechanical fault which should be corrected immediately before attempting to start and run the motor.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Think I'm gonna pass anyway. Really wanting another convertible so think I should just pass on this one since the outlook isn't good on this one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online