Threw the rear end around!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a little pissed off and rambunctious coming off a freeway off ramp. Made a hard left, took the outside lane to go around ass fuck who was being a dick and intentionally cutting me off. Stood on the Go Fast pedal and the damn ass end was instantly in front of me.
Scared me. Adrenaline rush. Pissed that dick wad got ahead of me while I straightened out in my lane! Urgh!!!

So, now that I’ve chilled out, I’m wondering about my suspension. I have the Eibach Pro Plus system front & rear with MM adjustable LCA’s.

Am I missing the boat somewhere?? Is ITS the way to go?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what kind of tires, how old are they?
Nitto 555 G2’s:
315/35x17 rear
275/40x17 front

Less than 1k on them. Bought them about 6 months ago!

TrickVert

Reaction score
My suggestions:

First, make sure your tire pressures aren't too high. It doesn't take much to make them lose some of the contact patch. I dropped from just 35 PSI to 32 and noticed improved traction.

Second, know that these cars, with more weight in the front than the back, will always get tail-happy once the rear tires break loose (they'll typically push up to that point), You hammered it when the ass end was already unloaded from deceleration and turning. That incident was more your fault than that of the car.

And third, do yourself a favor and find a local track that offers performance driving (not racing) classes, and learn under controlled training conditions what your car can and can't do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent, Trick. I’m going to go check/adjust tire pressure right now (I bet they are too high on the psi). And yes, I admit it was driver error! Oops, my bad!LOL

I’m not aware of any performance driving schools around, but Google will let me know.

Thanks again!

Yikes, $1300 for the 1-day performance nearnest me, using my own car. Can’t swallow that pill right now.

Last edited:

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Check for autocross events on https://www.motorsportreg.com/ or https://www.scca.com/pages/find-your-fun

Autocross events typically cost anywhere from $35 to $100. There are SCCA clubs and "local" car clubs that follow SCCA classing rules. Many clubs offer novice schools for people new to autocross. Many of the elements you'll find on an autocross course mimic evasive maneuvers you might have to take out on the road. Autocross is a safe, easy way to learn the fundamentals of car control. And it will help you get more familiar with how the mods you've made impact the handling of your car.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll definitely look into that! Sounds awesome! Thank you

joemomma

Reaction score
It doesn't take much to upset the "balance" in these cars. I haven't had mine all that long (less than a year) and haven't "pushed it" all that much in that time. I'm running the same tire/size in the rear with 245s up front. They're very light overall, and light in the tail section on top of that. Even at my stockish power levels (plus gears) it doesn't take much for things to get out of shape, in a hurry. All 3 of mine ('94, '99, and '06) have been the exact same way.

Mr horsepower

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the posi is working correctly in your rear? I dont disagree with others that having the car not straight when hammering it would cause this. But in the hundreds of launches and WOT accelerations I have done with our 95 and 98 Cobras, I’ve found these Cars to launch straight and stay that way providing you are straight from the beginning. If you are at an angle when you go WOT then expect that to get worse ( in any HP vehicle)

joemomma

Reaction score
^ this reminds me, I need to "test" mine to see if I'm getting both wheels spinning. At my mileage, it could certainly be shot.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
SN95 Mustangs come from the factory with two main flaws: factory-installed understeer, and throttle-induced oversteer. The understeer is a characteristic of the design, the oversteer is most often due to an incorrect throttle input from the driver. The right mods can make these cars handle extremely well. Unfortunately, many common mods add understeer to a car that already understeers from the factory, or add stiffness to the rear suspension, making throttle-induced oversteer more likely. Mods that make our cars feel "stiffer" can often bring the limit of traction further in. So, even though the car feels more "confident" at slower speeds, it gets out of shape when pushed.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tires were all at 35psi, so I reset them to 32psi as suggested. Haven’t been able to drive it though as the calipers are all off to powder coat.
Will 3psi make that much difference?

Tillerman77

Reaction score
If you ever have any questions about autocross, I'm an instructor and Novice Coordinator. I'm always happy to help.

There's also a lot of information on my YouTube channel...

+1 on watching his video series, whether or not you plan to autoX your Mustang. I learned a lot on suspension setup from @Warhorse Racing. He also is very responsive to questions. I worked with him to get details on setting up a Steeda 006-1STA adjustable rear sway bar recently on my 97.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Tires were all at 35psi, so I reset them to 32psi as suggested. Haven’t been able to drive it though as the calipers are all off to powder coat.
Will 3psi make that much difference?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You'll have to drive it and see. (It did for mine.)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I took it offline and started a conversation with WarHorse. Heard back and MAN what great info. I’m going to reread it so I can absorb even better the info he passed along to me. Awesome!

Tillerman77

Reaction score
I took it offline and started a conversation with WarHorse. Heard back and MAN what great info. I’m going to reread it so I can absorb even better the info he passed along to me. Awesome!
Good for you. He is a wonderful resource of practical advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010