Time for a new regulator... can I do it?

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Two years ago my right rear window stopped working. It was "clicking" as I tried to get the window up. Thanks to the forums I was able to pull the motor and put in new bushings (the old ones were crumbled into pieces), and even used the tip found here of using 1/4" nuts to replace the bushings, saved a few bucks, thx!

But alas, it has given out. Not the bushings (but I did just replace them with the actual plastic ones), but that "clicking" must of worn off or broke a couple of teeth in the gear.

Regulator chipped teeth.jpg

Just keeps spinning in the down position. So my question is do ya think I am capable to replace it? I can't find any YouTube vids of one actually being replace but it looks like I would:

1. Remove the two bolts on the top
2. Remove the bottom bolt.
3. I imagine the whole regulator can then slide down a bit and I can then see/remove the bolts holding the window?
4. Remove the whole unit and replace
5. Do the above steps backwards to put 'er back.

Does that seem about right? Anybody here done one with any tips would be great.

Clutch

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
As an update, the replacement part I ordered on eBay fell thru so I am out looking for another. Issue is I see regulators that look like mine but the range of years "compatible" seems to vary. I've seen some 94-00, to 2002, I think even up to 2004? Maybe due to the connections/electrical as opposed to actually fitting? Is there a site/registry where I could get the year range my 94 Mustang can use? Unless some here happens to know what will fit. THx

Monday

Reaction score
Why not hit the pull yard and grab a new assembly? It's super easy to swap out.

You have the hard stuff done already. Speakers already out the way - the longest part about doing the assembly, for me, was getting the stupid back seat out - twenty minutes on those plastic little pains in my ass.
Unplug the power supply.
Three bolts hold the glass in; two bolts and a nut hold the assembly. You'll need a torx 50 for the seat belt; best way to get at the bolt under the metal seat belt frame.

I just did this very thing on both sides. Super easy...

Last edited:

Monday

Reaction score
Looking at the image again, you already pulled the little motor. It is going to be way more simpler pulling the whole assembly and working on the reg on a bench...

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Thx, Monday for the reply. Tell me, your stang is a '96. Did you replace with a 94-98 regulator or did you use a newer 99-2004? I'm studying photos real closely. Looks like the change was with the motor but it looks like a 99-2004 would work. Did you have to get much rust off or any lubrication needed. Just askin'.

Monday

Reaction score
Parts car is a 99. I was gonna dick around with regs and such but the assemblies just bolt on... the whole assembly thingy that is. Imma going back to the yard this week and gut the doors.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Just ordered a 99-2004. We'll see if it works. Guy said if not I can return so worth a try to use a newer one with better lasting teeth.

b1pig

Reaction score
If this falls through again, try taking that regulator assembly to one of your local fab/steel shops. Ask if they would be willing to weld up (build up the tooth height, not fill the gaps) the two worn down teeth and then grind them back to a suitable shape. Either that, or add a weld to block it from rolling down into the broken teeth. means your window won't draw all the way down into the panel, but it will still work.

If you have a good offroad shop with a competent welder near you, that might be a good option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Good suggestion b1pig. I did get the replacement. Even though the motor is different it looks like I can swap them. The one that came with it is not working and the seller said he send a 2nd one, but I'm gonna try my older motor. Gonna put 'er in tomorrow.

It looks pretty good (good teeth). Should I try to "Dremel" any rust spots? Not that there is much of any. What about grease or lube (something I can get at the local auto parts store)? Or if it seems to slide like my original don't worry about it?

b1pig

Reaction score
Nah. i would not worry about rust on the regulator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online