Vibration when accelerating

Two2ossy510

Reaction score
hello I have a 1995 mustang gt 5speed, I noticed a bad vibration when accelerating hard from a dead stop, I was thinking maybe the drive shaft is unbalanced or maybe hitting the muffler, went underneath and seen the drive shaft is touching the muffler maybe the last owner jumped a speed bump don’t know but I pried the muffler away from the driver shaft went for a test drive and it’s still there. Also noticed when I first take off car jumps like crazy almost as if the rear end is binding I thought maybe it was welded but I jacked it up and was able to spin one wheel with the other wheel on the ground so I’m guessing it isn’t rear end sounds rough when spinning the wheel by hand, please help super annoying.

IMG_2356.jpeg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Next time you’re under there, see how much play/slack your u-joints have. Put the car on jackstands, put in gear (obviously with the engine off) and rotate the driveshaft in both directions. It shouldn’t have much play at all.

If that’s the case, that will rule that out.

Most common source of driveline vibration is improper pinion angle. You mentioned hard acceleration. It could be worn control arm bushings and/or shocks failing to keep things in place. Common with older stock parts and possibly aftermarket stuff.

Tell us more about the suspension parts and upgrades.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
Next time you’re under there, see how much play/slack your u-joints have. Put the car on jackstands, put in gear (obviously with the engine off) and rotate the driveshaft in both directions. It shouldn’t have much play at all.

If that’s the case, that will rule that out.

Most common source of driveline vibration is improper pinion angle. You mentioned hard acceleration. It could be worn control arm bushings and/or shocks failing to keep things in place. Common with older stock parts and possibly aftermarket stuff.

Tell us more about the suspension parts and upgrades.
Agree, and check the transmission mount. From your picture, it doesn't look like the DS is rubbing on the muffler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dusky

Members online