Vortech-Upgrading

NORTON98

Reaction score
In the future if I installed the kit that gives me 6-8 PSI boost. And played with that untill i got forged internals could I then increase the boost or do I have to get a new head unit?

Mike

G

GREG@SN95

head unit?

you mean heads?

well if you was to do forged internals... then you might as well do a whole motor overhaul and do a Head/Cam/Intake swap...

you would then be up there in power and want to do brakes, build tranny, build rear... and do suspension modifications... like subframe connectors, panhard bar, springs & struts... and lower control arms... you'd also want sticky tires...

thats alot...

but with power you'd want to have a strong drivetrain and will need traction and have to be able to slow down...

so... for suspension look at maximummotorsports kits

Spyder

Reaction score
If you mean the supercharger head unit then no, you wouldnt need a new one.
you can just change the pulleys to get more boost

OP
OP
N

NORTON98

Reaction score
OK ya I meant the actual supercharger head unit, I wasnt sure since it was a centrifugal that I was able to up the PSI.

So the kit for the 98 GT that has a PSI from 6-8, does anybody know how much you can increase the PSI to?

I plane on getting that kit in the future, then after that forging the internals so the motor can handle more PSI.

Thanks,
Mike

97vertstang

Reaction score
u can also get a powerpipe and thatll give u an additional 2 psi.

OP
OP
N

NORTON98

Reaction score
8 PSI some people run 10 PSI...

Im probably going to run 7-8 untill I get forged internals...

SonicStang

Reaction score
Running more than 8psi is not recommended on a stock bottom end. That means everything below 400hp is relatively safe.

ripper

Reaction score
I ran 12 on my ex bottom end lol. But i was racing every weekend. Motor went BOOM!. Stretched a piston. If your gonna race it hard and run high boost ya have to have a forged rotating assembly or a good towing plan lol. I allready had my new motor so i pushed the stocker to the limit and it wasn't that hard to kill it. I had actually added an anderson powerpipe so i was over 12lbs (maybe like 14). I never looked at my boost gauge racing (i know) so im not sure were it was when it blew. I drove the car for about a yr on 12lbs without track racing and dint have a problem. But when you start pushing hard like i did with the border line tunes and there is an atmosphere change (started to get dark and cooled off) you run the risk of detonation. Detonation is what kills your motor. I know most guys can't afford a new shortblock and want to s/c there cars. Keep the boost around 8-10 lbs. Problem is once they get a taste for that boost they run right out and start looking for a new pulley lol. Its so easy it should be illegal lol. Well ive ranted enough, im no mechanic this info is all from exp. ojt. So take it for what its worth.

S

scarface

Stevo said:
I ran 12 on my ex bottom end lol. But i was racing every weekend. Motor went BOOM!. Stretched a piston. If your gonna race it hard and run high boost ya have to have a forged rotating assembly or a good towing plan lol. I allready had my new motor so i pushed the stocker to the limit and it wasn't that hard to kill it. I had actually added an anderson powerpipe so i was over 12lbs (maybe like 14). I never looked at my boost gauge racing (i know) so im not sure were it was when it blew. I drove the car for about a yr on 12lbs without track racing and dint have a problem. But when you start pushing hard like i did with the border line tunes and there is an atmosphere change (started to get dark and cooled off) you run the risk of detonation. Detonation is what kills your motor. I know most guys can't afford a new shortblock and want to s/c there cars. Keep the boost around 8-10 lbs. Problem is once they get a taste for that boost they run right out and start looking for a new pulley lol. Its so easy it should be illegal lol. Well ive ranted enough, im no mechanic this info is all from exp. ojt. So take it for what its worth.
Tune is Key. Detonation caused my temp changing can be easily controled by relocating your IAT to the intake track right before the TB. When the temp changes, the ECU see this, and changes timming to compensate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online