Weight Reduction List

Newman

Reaction score
this list is great! I have been using it to strip down my track car. Got the A/C, Heater, SMOG, all interior pieces, and cut all metal but frame from doors.

Dr.Scientist

Reaction score
I've had people tell me that removing the dog bone from the driveshaft area is a bad idea. That if your driveshaft comes loose or something, it is there to catch the driveshaft instead of letting it dig into the concrete and "polevault" you. This is just what I have been told. No idea if its true.

83-88T-Bird Guy

Reaction score
Dr.Scientist said:
I've had people tell me that removing the dog bone from the driveshaft area is a bad idea. That if your driveshaft comes loose or something, it is there to catch the driveshaft instead of letting it dig into the concrete and "polevault" you. This is just what I have been told. No idea if its true.

I highly doubt the dogbone will stop the driveshaft from hitting the ground.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
That's a bunch of crap it's not true at all. The only thing that would stop that is a driveshaft safety loop. I've taken the dogbone off my last two mustangs with no adverse effects. How would the dogbone prevent that when it sits ON TOP of the axle and the driveshaft is BELOW the axle? Who ever told you that I would not take any car advise from them. Lots of people like to act like they know more then they do

nikstang

Reaction score
Given all that has been listed, serious or joking all would reduce weight yes, but what if you are trying to achieve the most needless weight. Such as on a D/D that you would like to leave A/C, P/S, Power Windows, etc. for convenience. I just want to drop some weight to help MPGs. I have tuned the EGR and cruise parameters and gained +5 mpg, and hoping for more if I can drop say 25-75lbs.
I am thinking of removing the rear seat [hardly ever use it except for storage].
Parts already gone/added:
All the panels are out of the trunk
Strut brace
Fog Lights and mount brackets
Air Pump and all plumbing along with it
'Dog-Bone' from Diff.

Added K-member brace [2-point UPR]
Aluminum Pulleys [Idler/Tensioner] & PBR Front Calipers
Saleen Front Bumper
Headers BBK o/r x-pipe, MAC x-back
'04 Center Console
FRP Lower A-Arms
Nitrogen in Tires

What else can be cut/removed and still have the D/D comforts/accessories? Other than what is already listed, most of which I have done even if not listed above. That is just a brief idea on what I have already started with and just looking for ideas that I may not have thought of already.

I will never remove my Spare & Jack [tires do go flat; learned my lesson on that one]. Coming back from the track had a blow out, 57 miles from home with no spare. Never ever again; you can always take it out at the track if you are needing to loose weight there.

Naptown_Stang

Reaction score
Tubular K member kit. youll drop 75 pounds in the front if you do it right. i think Granatelli has one thats pretty good.

Her name is Jaz

Reaction score
Let's also remember that if the shaft drops at the rear diff, it's not going to upset the car, just drag the shaft. If it breaks at the tranny tailshaft that's a different ballgame.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Drink less beer and lose my gut. That would be some weight loss...but, eh, nah!!!

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a cobra style fiberglass hood, it weighed more than the stock V6/gt steel hood. The rear seaT delete will save about 25#. A big save is aero space components front and rear brakes. Or similar, The rear brake alone saved me nearly 80#. Front will be another 60-70

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online