What is this box?

GTamas

Reaction score
Anyone knows what this box might be? It is under the left rear quarter panel and it reads in German "Fahrtrichtung" meaning "driving direction".20230831_215718.jpg
20230831_215727.jpg

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
So it is safe to assume it is not a stock part, right? Then probably something belonging to an old alarm system... But why would it matter which direction it is installed? Maybe a sensor for sounding the alarm when the car is lifted or bumped?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The wiring looks fairly stock except for the tech flex covering on it which is strange, I have never seen that on any old ford. I know in all the years I installed security I never saw anything like it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Not sure
It's got to be somthing forgin that was mandatory
By laws in the country it was sold in

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Not sure
It's got to be somthing forgin that was mandatory
By laws in the country it was sold in
Hm, that's a good idea, the car was imported to Germany from the US in 94, then forwarded to Hungary where my mom bought it as new. Maybe they added it in Germany during the import procedure.
I will ask around some German mechanics.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Just Google it
Found its some kind of GPS driving direction box
One of the first types
I tried but didn't find anything. How did you search for it? Could you please share a link?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it doesn't make any sense to me. If it was GPS navigation then it was years ahead of its time since back in 94 the hand held units were being made but they really were not making them into car audio yet. It took a few more years for the double din screens to make it really viable. Alpine tried a system called the blackbird that had a stand alone gps you could take with you, or plug into the deck and sometimes it would work. Mention "blackbird" in a longtime alpine dealer today and if they sold them back then they will start to twitch remembering all the problems.

The only other thing I can think of back there in that area is the inertia switch for the fuel cut off and it is possible that the european version required a different version than the US version. I think the US version only detected forward/backward impacts, maybe that does lateral as well? Idunno do ya have the standard inertia switch on the back wall of the trunk with the red dot/switch on top?

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Okay, someone from Germany told me it is most probably used to modify the behaviour of the taillights, so that not the whole lamp blinks as turn signal, but only the amber part of the lamp. I haven't thought about that. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online