what to get for better mpg?

GaryG

Reaction score
hey guys im helping a relative out, she has a 2002 v6 mustang, what do u guys do to get better fuel mileage?

godsrods

Reaction score
Keep your tires properly inflated and you can get an economy tune on your pcm also and you should also check your ignition to make sure you have a good strong spark this can affect fuel milage.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
gut the interior, dont eat for a few days and run with as little fuel in the tank as possible. oh and dont use the defroster. :) other then that just the more constant of a speed you can keep and the more gradual acceleration/decel you can have the better.

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
K&N Air filter will gain you some MPG's in a sixxer, if you don't feel like plunking down that kind o' cash, get a Purolater PureOne (it's basically the same thing, just not reuseable... both are oil-charged and flow well).

Good spark plugs (and I mean GOOD, not just "platinum"...) like AC Delco's Rapidfires will also help boost you up a tiny bit, make sure your plug wires are in good shape, and change ALL your filters and PCV valve.

Remove any and all unnecissary weight, up to and including all the carpet lining in the trunk (do you really need your TRUNK to look nice? Seriously). If you have roadside assistance with towing, you can get away with removing your spare tire and jack assembly. Just the crap in your trunk removed will actually gain you almost 1mpg by itself. Scary, isn't it?

Another thing is, don't run your A/C unless you absolutely have to (to clear your windshield or what-not). A/C sucks down your MPG quite a bit. In fact, if yours works, and you want to use your defroster WITHOUT engaging the A/C compressor, you can actually simply unplug the two-prong connector on the compresssor itself and zip-tie it out of the way. That way you can run in the winter months with defrost, but not draw down your mileage.

Lastly, keep your car CLEAN. Not just outside, but in. They say every 100lbs you shave off your car can add up to 1+ mpg. Just everyday junk you throw in there (McDonalds cups, newspapers, extra coats, etc) can add up fast. Keep your interior neat. As far as the exterior, keeping it clean helps too. Washing/waxing your car will actually reduce "drag" at higher speeds. This has been proven in wind tunnel experiments, for those who don't believe me. Air flows better over a smooth surface than a rough one, and when dirt builds up on a car's paint, it makes the surface no longer smooth.

Any other ideas I can come up with, I'll add to this later. This will give you a fair base to start from.

godsrods

Reaction score
You want to be careful swapping spark plugs, they are not all compatible some manufacturers work off of different theories on how the combustion process is started. all car manufacturers have their theory they design their engines around. If you would like to find out more about ignition theory ask me and I will post more about it in more detail. swaping spark plugs if they are based on the incorrect ignition theory they CAN cause engine damage throw engine codes mess with Fuel trim and be an incredible pain in the butt to diagnose what is actually wrong.

NERD

Reaction score
Change your auto and diff fluid if they haven't been serviced in a while. Then let someone else drive your car (mom, GF or old person) for a tank of gas to prove that it works. I usually 340mpt in my DD and when I changed my fluids, it went up to 380mpt. This is averaging for 30 day at one full tank every 3 days. 40 miles per tank might not seem like a lot but that's 4 trips to school for me.

And of course make sure your regular maintenance has been done.

A/C does not change you MPG, don't you guys watch Mythbusters? A/C on or off, I get the same MPG regardless. We do our MPG math with every car (4) and with every tank. I've done it most of my life and my wife started doing it when she met me. (5 years)

The only way I could see it changing mpg is one of three ways, bearings are bad on the A/C clutch creating drag or if the system is over filled. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, I guess that may possibly create a drop as well but mpg goes down at that point anyway.

At 600rw & 3.73's I still get 22 city & 25mpg hwy. It all about where you put that right foot and how fast you get to speeds.

NERD

Reaction score
Also, ALWAYS run copper plugs, ALWAYS. even if platinum is standard. Change your plugs every 3-6 months. If you go to autozone or advance auto plug depending they usually have a 1-2 year warranty so you just have to swap them out.

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
godsrods said:
You want to be careful swapping spark plugs, they are not all compatible some manufacturers work off of different theories on how the combustion process is started. all car manufacturers have their theory they design their engines around. If you would like to find out more about ignition theory ask me and I will post more about it in more detail. swaping spark plugs if they are based on the incorrect ignition theory they CAN cause engine damage throw engine codes mess with Fuel trim and be an incredible pain in the butt to diagnose what is actually wrong.

This is also very good information. I have not personally tried the RapidFire plugs in one of our cars, so I can't say those are a good choice *for sure*... but I have Autolite Double Platinum plugs in mine now and like them.

From what I know, for smaller Ford engines, either Motocraft or Autolite (same manufacturer, by the way) are a good choice. Some people I know of have had bad luck with NGK V-Power and G-Power plugs, so I don't recommend those.

Champion always worked well in my old Ford trucks, but I haven't tried them in anything EFI yet.

jthorn9

Reaction score
Regular maintenance and proper tire inflation works best, however I increased my average MPG in my old 98 V6 I had from 24/25 stock to 26/27 (mostly hwy but some city) by putting in a CAI, true dual exhaust, and by using a tuner (had my own custom tune I used, worked really well and made 5 rwhp). On a complete hwy trip I got 29.7 mpg in my 98 after I did those three things, God I miss that car.