What tranny to go with?

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Well time after time, from people here, from local mechanics I've learned that 94-95 t5 transmissions were not too great. What aftermarket trannys are there for our cars that are stronger and dont really require much modification to be put in.

Downshift

Reaction score
Ive been hearing a lot of things lately about built up T5s that are pretty damn strong, and since they are a T5 no modifications need to be done. Might wanna at least look into that.

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
Ive been hearing a lot of things lately about built up T5s that are pretty damn strong, and since they are a T5 no modifications need to be done. Might wanna at least look into that.
[/quote

Well if im going to spend the bucks I want a proven transmission.

Downshift

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
5.0wned said:
[/quote

Well if im going to spend the bucks I want a proven transmission.

T56, TKO 500/600 Those are going to cost some dough though, new shifters bell housings and if I remember right spacers and the cost of them is already in the couple grand area.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Either a G-Force T5 or Astroperformance's "A-5" Tranny. Both have a 26 spline input shaft vs. a stock T 5's 10 spline...so you have to run an aftermarket clutch...but thats it. everything else bolts RIGHT IN. I have a G-Force in my car that was built by astroperformance. Let me tell you right now, if you are going to buy an aftermarket tranny....there is NOONE ELSE to go BUT Astroperformance. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE! I had an issue with my G-Force Tranny that was no fault of there. I sent it back after the warranty was up and STILL got a reduced rate on the labor AND parts. PHEONOMINAL SERVICE HANDS DOWN!!!!! The tranny now shifts like a stocker but I can leave at 4500rpms on the spray with out even worrying! Drive a tremec and then drive a G-Force/A-5....the tremec shifts like a big rig....

armyed

Reaction score
I have a king cobra clutch in mine and I have a tremec tko 3550

S.O.B.

Reaction score
rycelf331 I am glad to hear the astro's are working out. I think that is the way I am going. I know too many people with the tremec's that complain about the notchy shifting. Thanks for the tip! Do you know if they sell all the components needed for us poor do it ourself kind of guys?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I am going to have to disagree with Ryclef (for the first time ever I think).

I would recommend either a TKO600 or an MMR TKO900.

Although lots of people offer hopped-up T5, at the end of the day it is still a T5. They do not offer the same torque-holding capacity of the bigger Tremecs with physically larger (and stronger) internals. I have a 3550 in my convertible, and I fear for its safety after the blower is installed and tuned.

I am currently running a McLeod Street Twin which can hold waaay more than my poor 3550 can take. Given the ~500 ft. lbs. that your car is putting down, you are already on the ragged edge of any hopped-up T5, and beyond the rating of a 3550.

Further, it has been my experience that although NOTHING will ever shift as smooth as a T5 (except uber-trannies), the notchiness of the TKO series and even the 3550 can be mitigated by exceptional fluid and a proper break-in. I didn't abuse my 3550 for over 1500 miles, and those who have driven my car agree it shifts much better than the other Tremecs they've driven.

I am going to either buy an MMR TKO900 outright and put my 3550 in one of the other cars, or just upgrade the 3550. It allows you to take comfort in knowing that your transmission isn't going to give up the ghost at some inopportune time, and it can grow with you. This is especially true since you KNOW someday you will tire of 500 hp, and upgrade your shortblock and blower. :)

My .02 - but I tend to over-build everything I guess too...

Paul.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Paul said:
I am going to have to disagree with Ryclef (for the first time ever I think).

I would recommend either a TKO600 or an MMR TKO900.

Although lots of people offer hopped-up T5, at the end of the day it is still a T5. They do not offer the same torque-holding capacity of the bigger Tremecs with physically larger (and stronger) internals. I have a 3550 in my convertible, and I fear for its safety after the blower is installed and tuned.

I am currently running a McLeod Street Twin which can hold waaay more than my poor 3550 can take. Given the ~500 ft. lbs. that your car is putting down, you are already on the ragged edge of any hopped-up T5, and beyond the rating of a 3550.

Further, it has been my experience that although NOTHING will ever shift as smooth as a T5 (except uber-trannies), the notchiness of the TKO series and even the 3550 can be mitigated by exceptional fluid and a proper break-in. I didn't abuse my 3550 for over 1500 miles, and those who have driven my car agree it shifts much better than the other Tremecs they've driven.

I am going to either buy an MMR TKO900 outright and put my 3550 in one of the other cars, or just upgrade the 3550. It allows you to take comfort in knowing that your transmission isn't going to give up the ghost at some inopportune time, and it can grow with you. This is especially true since you KNOW someday you will tire of 500 hp, and upgrade your shortblock and blower. :)

My .02 - but I tend to over-build everything I guess too...

Paul.

Can't disagree too much with ya.

My car is LIGHT and makes close to 500hp so I think my G-Force is pretty safe behind it.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
My car is a fat pig (read: 3680 lbs w/o me) and likes to break things. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online