Wheel Spacers

bmcgc

Reaction score
I bought a pair of 1 in wheel spacers for the 05 GT wheels that I planned on putting on my 94 vert.

I changed my plans and now have 17x8 American Racing wheels with the proper 30mm offset.

Now Im thinking about putting the spacers on the rear to even out the track.

Ive never used spacers before and am wondering how often I will have to pull the wheels to check them.

Anyone who has or is using spacers weigh in on this?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ive never used spacers before and am wondering how often I will have to pull the wheels to check them.

Never.

As long as they're hubcentric and from a reputable brand you should have no issues.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
The spacer bolts to the hub and the wheel bolts to the spacer. There are now 10 lug nuts per wheel, five of them being behind the wheel that can not be seen.

The spacers are hub centric.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh your concerned with the lugs becoming loose? do you check the rest of your lugs from time to time and if so how often? I mean if you don't think that properly torqueing them down will keep them in place maybe just a drop of locktight blue would help to hold things together.

SNorange94

Reaction score
Just torque them down to at least 80 ft lbs, then check them after 25 miles or so. I run them on all of my vehicles with no problems.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with mine becoming loose, I check them every time the wheel comes off (every few months to rotate tires, fix brakes, etc..) never had a problem with any being loose

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with mine becoming loose, I check them every time the wheel comes off (every few months to rotate tires, fix brakes, etc..) never had a problem with any being loose

What is this "rotate tires" that you speak of?!? Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Twista

Legend
Reaction score

This. I have never rotated tires on any mustangs I've owned. Always had different size tires ftw [emoji56]

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah with a staggered offset its kinda hard to rotate!!! Lol

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

This. I have never rotated tires on any mustangs I've owned. Always had different size tires ftw [emoji56]

Mine are the same old junk on all four corners, as much as I want staggered wheels I still am too cheap for a set of deep dishes in the back. It makes me think a lot about what mods I could have every month I write a $400 check for student loans lol. On another note the wheel spacers do make it look a lot better in the back for people with lower funds for their mustang.

And who says you can't have the wide tires out front? People will just think you did a front wheel drive conversion lol

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Since the Misses will put most of the miles on this car its only a matter of time until this conversation takes place:

Me: I noticed one of the wheels has curb rash.
Misses: Whats curb rash?
Me: Have you been off planet all year?
Misses: What?
Me: When I put these wheels on and at least once a week since then, I have asked you to be careful about hitting curbs and damaging the wheels.
Misses: Im very careful.
Me: So how did the wheel get damaged?
Misses: I don't know, I didn't hit anything.
Me: Sooooooo, get your coat we are going on a road trip.
Misses: Where are we going?
Me: To Summit Racing to buy 2 17x9 wheels to replace the damaged wheel.
Misses: If only one wheel is damaged, why do we need 2?
Me: The wheels on there now are 17x8, since I have to take a day to replace the damaged wheel, there has to be something in it for me.
Misses: The wheel isn't that bad, cant we just leave it?
Me: Sure we can, if the way it looks doesn't matter you can drive a Yugo or a Chevette.
Misses: I don't know what those are.
Me: Imagine the ugliest car you have ever seen and put freckles and red hair on it.
Misses: Lets go.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Finally got the motivation to install the 1 in rear wheel spacers today.

Everything was going smoothly until I realized my torque wrench stops at 75 lbs.

So tomorrow Im off to buy a new torque wrench. My current one is 30 years young so I guess I got my moneys worth.

You don't realize the visual impact that extra inch makes on the rear until you do one side and compare it with the other side. Now Im somewhat kicking myself for not going with 17x9s on the rear in the first place.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when you add a spacer on the front, you are increasing with your scrub radius. From a performance standpoint, you should really only be adding a spacer for inside tire clearance.

However, if you really only care about looks, then have at it

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Who said anything about adding a spacer to the front?

bluex

Reaction score
Me: Imagine the ugliest car you have ever seen and put freckles and red hair on it.

Your friendly local Ginger is on the way to take your soul for this statement. Have a nice day! :D

OP need pics of the car with the spacers!

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Btw I haven't checked my spacer bolts in months. When I took them off for winter two years back they was stuck on there.. like welded to my rotor. Had to get a chisel and heat to remove them lol. On the bolts I use red lock tite and on the studs I don't use anything

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online